Admission to Student Teaching/Internship
Student Teaching is required in all teacher preparation programs at the initial preparation level. In order to participate in the student teaching program, a teacher candidate must:
- Meet all admission and retention requirements for the Teacher Education Program.
- Have earned an overall cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher on all college course work attempted.
- Make application to Student Teaching no later than one semester prior to the academic year semester in which registration for the course occurs.
- Meet admission requirements for Student Teaching no later than one semester prior to enrollment for the course.
- Have met the College and department prerequisites for majoring in the field.
- Have a disciplinary record clear of any actions which might be a detriment to successful performance in the classroom.
- Possess mental, emotional, and physical health compatible with the expectations of the profession.
- Participate in the mandatory orientation for Student Teaching.
- Complete the professional education program and courses in the teaching field with a grade of “C” or better and an adjusted GPA of 2.75 or better.
- Take the GACE Content Assessment appropriate to the field.
- Purchase liability insurance.
- Pass the Georgia Educators Ethics – Program Exit (360).
- Possess a Preservice Certificate from the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.