Reading Education (K-12) Ed.S. (Online)
Degree Requirements: 33 Credit Hours
Certificate upgrade information: The educator who holds a level five certificate in Reading, Middle Grades Reading, Early Childhood Education, or Special Education with a cognitive area in Reading will qualify for a level six certificate upgrade upon successful completion of all program requirements.
- Complete requirements for a Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Possess or be eligible for a level five certificate. Candidates who have completed all eligibility requirements for the Professional Level Five Certificate have until the end of the first semester to obtain the certificate.
- Present a 3.25 or higher GPA on all graduate work attempted.
- Present current official report from the verbal, quantitative and analytical writing sections of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) showing competitive scores. Applicants with a Georgia Southern University graduate degree showing a GPA of 3.5 or higher within the previous seven (7) years may exempt the GRE test requirement.
- Submit a personal statement of purpose, not to exceed 200 words, that identifies the applicant’s reasons for pursuing graduate study and how admission into the program relates to the applicant’s professional aspirations.
- Submit a completed “Disclosure and Affirmation Form” that addresses misconduct disclosure, criminal background check, the Code of Ethics for Educators, and tort liability insurance.
Applicants may be approved for provisional admission based on the quality of the admission material presented. Provisional students must earn grades of “B” or higher in their first nine (9) credits of course work after admission and meet any other stipulations outlined by the department to be converted to regular status.
|EDUF 7130||Learning Theories and Applications||3|
|EDUR 7130||Educational Research||3|
|EDUR 8131||Educational Statistics I||3|
|ESED 5233G||Applied Linguistics: ESOL||3|
|ESED 8130||Research on Current Trends and Issues 1||3|
|ESED 8131||Teacher Leadership 2||3|
|ITEC 8231||Transforming Learning with Technology||3|
|Content Specific Requirements 3|
|EDUR 8434||Field-Based Educational Research 4||3|
|ESED 8132||Curriculum and Instruction 2||3|
|READ 8839||Field Project in Reading 5||3|
|Select 3 credit hours from the following:||3|
|Selected Topics in Reading|
|Literacy Assessment and Correction II (field experience required)|
|Organization and Supervision of Reading Programs|
|Critical Readings in Reading/Literacy Education|
|Practicum in Literacy Instruction|
|Select 6 credit hours of Electives||6|
|Total Credit Hours||33|
Must be taken during the first nine (9) credits; Prerequisite(s): Admission into the Ed.S. in Reading Education.
Prerequisite(s): Research on Current Trends and Issues (ESED 8130) or concurrently enrolled.
Ed.S. candidates must complete the Content Specific Requirements in Reading Education.
Prerequisite(s): Educational Statistics I (EDUR 8131), Research on Current Trends and Issues (ESED 8130), Teacher Leadership (ESED 8131), Curriculum and Instruction (ESED 8132), Transforming Learning with Technology (ITEC 8231)
Prerequisite(s): Educational Statistics I (EDUR 8131), Field-Based Educational Research (EDUR 8434), Research on Current Trends and Issues (ESED 8130), Teacher Leadership (ESED 8131), Curriculum and Instruction (ESED 8132), Transforming Learning with Technology (ITEC 8231)
Other Program Requirements
Successful completion of the Ed.S. Comprehensive Exit Assessment; involves constituting a three faculty advisory committee to guide field study, and requires the completion and oral presentation of a major field-based action research paper.
Must successfully complete assessments identified at each program transition point.
Maintain an active account with the COE electronic data management system.
Claim Georgia Southern University as your program provider in your My PSC Account during your first term of enrollment (see information under My PSC Account in Graduate Catalog, College of Education).
Department of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
Dr. Michael Moore
P. O. Box 8144
Statesboro, GA 30460
Fax: (912) 478-5382