Reading Education M.Ed. (Online)
Degree Requirements: 36 Credit Hours
Certificate Upgrade Information: The educator will qualify for a level 5 Georgia certificate upgrade with a new Field program upon successful completion of all program requirements, achieving a passing score on the required GACE Content Assessments for Reading, and applying for and successfully adding the Reading Education Specialist Program to the educator's GaPSC certificate.
- Complete requirements for a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Possess a valid, level four or higher, Professional, Advanced Professional, or Lead Professional teaching certificate, leadership certificate, service certificate, or Life certificate.
- Have at least three years teaching experience.
- Present a cumulative 2.50 (4.0 scale) grade point average or higher on all undergraduate and graduate work combined.
- Submit a personal statement of purpose, not to exceed 200 words, that identifies the applicant’s reasons for pursuing graduate study and how admission into the program relates to the applicant’s professional aspirations.
- Submit a completed “Disclosure and Affirmation Form” that addresses misconduct disclosure, criminal background check, the Code of Ethics for Educators, and tort liability insurance.
Applicants may be approved for provisional admission based on the quality of the admission material presented. Provisional students must earn grades of “B” or higher in their first nine (9) credit hours of course work after admission and meet any other stipulations outlined by the department to be converted to regular status.
|Professional Education Core Requirements|
|EDUF 7130||Learning Theories and Applications||3|
|EDUR 7130||Educational Research||3|
|READ 7131||Approaches to Literacy Instruction||3|
|READ 7132||Linking Literary Assessment with Instruction (field experience required)||3|
|READ 7230||Issues and Trends in Literacy||3|
|READ 7330||Literacy in the Content Areas||3|
|READ 7431||Digital Literacies in the 21st Century||3|
|READ 7432||Teaching Literacy with English Learners (field experience required)||3|
|READ 7433||Teaching Writers Through Reading||3|
|READ 8734||Capstone in Literacy Instruction (field experience required)||3|
|Select 3 credit hours from the following:||3|
|Curriculum Theories and Design|
|Transforming Learning with Technology|
|Early Adolescent Literature|
|The Role of the Literacy Leader in Today's Schools|
|Teaching the Literature of Social Reflection|
|Linking Literacy Assessment with Instruction II (field experience required)|
|Critical Issues in Literacy Education with Diverse Populations|
|Select 3 credit hours of Free Elective||3|
|Total Credit Hours||36|
Other Program Requirements
- Must successfully complete assessments identified at each program transition point including the Literacy Exit Experience.
- All students in the M.Ed. program must pass the GACE to obtain initial certification in Reading Education.
- Maintain an active account with the COE electronic data management system.
- Claim Georgia Southern University as your program provider in your MyPSC Account during your first term of enrollment (see information under MyPSC Account in Graduate Catalog, College of Education).