Middle Grades Education (Grades 4-8) M.Ed. (Online)
Degree Requirements: 36 Credit Hours
Candidates must select one area of concentration from the areas in which they are currently certified.
- Middle Grades Language Arts Education
- Middle Grades Mathematics Education
- Middle Grades Science Education
- Middle Grades Social Studies Education
Certificate Upgrade Information: An educator who holds a level four Georgia certificate in Middle Grades Education will qualify for a level five certificate upgrade upon successful completion of all program requirements. (See catalog section on Certification).
- Complete requirements for a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Possess or be eligible for a Georgia Induction or Professional Certificate or the equivalent, or possess or be eligible for a Georgia Certificate of Eligibility for an Induction Certificate. The certificate must be in Middle Grades Education, with certification in one of the following concentration areas: Middle Grades Language Arts, Middle Grades Mathematics, Middle Grades Reading, Middle Grades Science, and Middle Grades Social Studies. Candidates who have completed all requirements for the Georgia Certificate of Eligibility have until the end of the first semester to obtain the certificate.
- Present a cumulative 2.50 (4.0 scale) grade point average or higher on all undergraduate and graduate work combined.
- Submit a personal statement of purpose, not to exceed 200 words, that identifies the applicant’s reasons for pursuing graduate study and how admission into the program relates to the applicant’s professional aspirations.
- Submit a completed “Disclosure and Affirmation Form” that addresses misconduct disclosure, criminal background check, the Code of Ethics for Educators, and tort liability insurance.
Applicants may be approved for provisional admission based on the quality of the admission material presented. Provisional students must earn grades of “B” or higher in their first nine (9) credits of course work after admission and meet any other stipulations outlined by the department to be converted to regular status.
|Professional Education Core Requirements||9|
|Learning Theories and Applications|
|Foundations of Technology-Enabled Learning|
|Trends in the Content Areas|
|Readings and Research in the Content Areas|
Plus the advanced pedagogy course in one's area of certification:
|Early Adolescent Literature|
|Teaching Middle Grades and Secondary Mathematics|
|Trends in Middle and Secondary Science|
|Trends in Middle and Secondary Social Studies|
|Enhancing Student Performance|
|Effective Middle Schools|
|MED Seminar in Middle Grades and Secondary Education 1|
|Classroom Assessment and Data Literacy|
|Electives toward endorsement or certificate (Complete 6 hours toward one of the listed endorsements or certificate below). 2||6|
|Total Credit Hours||36|
This is the capstone course for the program. It must be taken in the final spring semester of the course of study. Educational Research (EDUR 7130) is a pre-requisite for this course.
Recommended electives would include courses that lead to specific endorsements:
Other Program Requirements
- Successfully complete assessments identified at each program transition point.
Maintain an active account with the COE electronic data management system.
Claim Georgia Southern University as your program provider in your My PSC Account during your first term of enrollment (see information under My PSC Account in Graduate Catalog, College of Education).