Policies and Procedures for Field Experiences, Internships and Clinical Experience - Initial Teacher Preparation
Field Experience Placement Policies
Field placements are very important to candidates in the teacher preparation program. Georgia Southern University and its Partner Schools place great importance on field experiences.
- All field experiences are coordinated between the Office of Undergraduate Teacher Education, academic programs, and Partner Schools.
- An attempt will be made to place two or more teacher candidates in a school. An exception to this clustering policy could be rendered by a program or department. This exception would be a result of specialization required of the clinical supervisor.
- One geographical area will serve Georgia Southern’s teacher candidate population. The primary area is an approximate 60 mile radius of Georgia Southern campus. One-way travel of 60 miles from Georgia Southern to a school placement is to be expected.
- Teacher candidates seldom receive a field placement at a school site where they have had a previous field experience placement. This policy provides candidates with diversity in placements and teaching experiences.
- Teacher candidates are not placed in schools where relatives are employed, where they have been enrolled as a student, or where relatives are enrolled as students.
- Teacher candidates will not receive a field placement in a former P-12 school they have attended.
Intervention Policies for Field Experiences, Student Teaching, and Internship
- Candidates are allowed a maximum of two (2) Performance Agreements (Form A) (each for different areas of difficulty) per field experience, student teaching or internship.
- Candidates are allowed a maximum of one (1) Probation (Form B) per field experience, student teaching, or internship.
- Candidates may repeat each field experience, student teaching, or internship one (1) time.
- Withdrawing without academic penalty, withdrawing failing, or withdrawing at the recommendation of the program faculty from a field experience, student teaching, or internship will be considered one (1) attempt at that field experience.
Repeating/Extending Field Experiences, Internship and Clinical Experience
- In very rare situations an extension of a pre-student teaching or internship field experience (maximum of two weeks) may occur at the recommendation of the Program Coordinator and upon approval of the Department Chair.
- In very rare situations an extension of the student teaching experience or internship experience (maximum of three weeks) may occur at the recommendation of the Program Coordinator and upon approval of the Department Chair.
- When school personnel request that candidates be removed from the school for performance or professional reasons, a new field placement will rarely be identified until the following semester.