Early Childhood Education (Grades P-5) Ed.S. (Online)
Certificate Upgrade Information: An educator who holds a level five Georgia certificate in Early Childhood Education will qualify for a level six certificate upgrade upon successful completion of all program requirements. (See catalog section on Certification).
Degree Requirements: 33 Credit Hours
- Complete requirements for a Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Possess or be eligible for a Georgia level five certificate in Early Childhood Education, or possess or be eligible for a Georgia Certificate of Eligibility for level five Induction Certificate in Early Childhood Education. Candidates who have completed all requirements for the Georgia Certificate of Eligibility for a level five Induction Certificate have until the end of the first semester to obtain the certificate.
- Present a 3.25 or higher GPA on all graduate work attempted.
- Present current official report from the verbal, quantitative and analytical writing sections of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) showing competitive scores. Applicants with a Georgia Southern University graduate degree showing a GPA of 3.5 or higher within the previous seven (7) years may exempt the GRE test requirement.
- Submit a personal statement of purpose, not to exceed 200 words, that identifies the applicant’s reasons for pursuing graduate study and how admission into the program relates to the applicant’s professional aspirations.
- Submit a completed “Disclosure and Affirmation Form” that addresses misconduct disclosure, criminal background check, the Code of Ethics for Educators, and tort liability insurance.
Applicants may be approved for provisional admission based on the quality of the admission material presented. Provisional students must earn grades of “B” or higher in their first nine (9) credits of course work after admission and meet any other stipulations outlined by the department to be converted to regular status.
|EDUF 7130||Learning Theories and Applications||3|
|EDUR 7130||Educational Research||3|
|EDUR 8131||Educational Statistics I||3|
|ESED 5233G||Applied Linguistics: ESOL 1||3|
|ESED 8130||Research on Current Trends and Issues 2||3|
|ESED 8131||Teacher Leadership 3||3|
|ITEC 8231||Transforming Learning with Technology||3|
|Content Specific Requirements 4|
|EDUR 8434||Field-Based Educational Research 5||3|
|ESED 8132||Curriculum and Instruction 3||3|
|ESED 8839||Seminar and Field Study 6||3|
|Select 9 credit hours of Electives||9|
|Total Credit Hours||33|
If Applied Linguistics: ESOL (ESED 5233)/Applied Linguistics: ESOL (ESED 5233G) was taken previously, acceptable alternatives include the following: Cultural Issues: ESOL (ESED 5234G); Methods for ESOL (ESED 5235G); Teaching Literacy with English Language Learners (READ 7432); Applied English Grammar (LING 6133); Language, Nation, and Globalization (LING 6231); or Teaching English Internationally (LING 6233).
Must be taken during the first 9 credit hours; Prerequisite(s): Admission into the Ed.S. in Early Childhood Education
Prerequisite(s): Research on Current Trends and Issues (ESED 8130) or concurrently enrolled.
Ed.S. candidates must complete the Content Specific Requirements (4) in Early Childhood Education.
Prerequisite(s): Educational Statistics I (EDUR 8131), Research on Current Trends and Issues (ESED 8130), Teacher Leadership (ESED 8131), Curriculum and Instruction (ESED 8132), Transforming Learning with Technology (ITEC 8231)
Prerequisite(s): Educational Statistics I (EDUR 8131), Field-Based Educational Research (EDUR 8434), Research on Current Trends and Issues (ESED 8130), Teacher Leadership (ESED 8131), Curriculum and Instruction (ESED 8132), Transforming Learning with Technology (ITEC 8231)
Other Program Requirements
- Successful completion of the Ed.S. Comprehensive Exit Assessment; involves constituting a three faculty advisory committee to guide field study, and requires the completion and oral presentation of a major field-based action research paper.
- Must successfully complete assessments identified at each program transition point.
Maintain an active account with the COE electronic data management system.
Claim Georgia Southern University as your program provider in your MyPSC Account during your first term of enrollment(see information under MyPSC Account in Graduate Catalog, College of Education).