Early Childhood Education (Grades P-5) M.Ed. (Online)
Degree Requirements: 36 Credit Hours
Certificate Upgrade Information: An educator who holds a level four Georgia certificate in Early Childhood Education will qualify for a level five certificate upgrade upon successful completion of all program requirements. (See catalog section on Certification).
- Complete requirements for a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Possess or be eligible for a Georgia level four certificate in Early Childhood Education, or possess or be eligible for a Georgia Certificate of Eligibility for an Induction Certificate in Early Childhood Education. Candidates who have completed all requirements for the Georgia Certificate of Eligibility have until the end of the first semester to obtain the certificate.
- Present a cumulative 2.50 (4.0 scale) grade point average or higher on all undergraduate and graduate work combined.
- Present current official report from the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or the verbal, quantitative and analytical writing sections of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) showing competitive scores.
- Submit a personal statement of purpose, not to exceed 200 words, that identifies the applicant’s reasons for pursuing graduate study and how admission into the program relates to the applicant’s professional aspirations.
- Submit a completed “Disclosure and Affirmation Form” that addresses misconduct disclosure, criminal background check, the Code of Ethics for Educators, and tort liability insurance.
Applicants may be approved for provisional admission based on the quality of the admission material presented. Provisional students must earn grades of “B” or higher in their first nine (9) credits of course work after admission and meet any other stipulations outlined by the department to be converted to regular status.
|Professional Education Core Requirements|
|ECED 7132||Effective Curriculum and Instruction in Elementary Schools||3|
|EDUF 7130||Learning Theories and Applications||3|
|EDUR 7130||Educational Research||3|
|Specialized Content for Teaching|
|(Professional Education Prerequisites)|
|ECED 7230||Advanced Language Arts Methods||3|
|ECED 7330||Advanced Mathematics Methods||3|
|ECED 7430||Advanced Science Methods||3|
|ECED 7530||Advanced Social Studies Methods||3|
|ESED 5234G||Cultural Issues: ESOL 1||3|
|(Professional Education and Specialized Content Prerequisites)|
|ECED 7639||Seminar in P-5||3|
|Select 9 credit hours of Open Electives (approved by advisor)||9|
|Total Credit Hours||36|
If Cultural Issues: ESOL (ESED 5234)/Cultural Issues: ESOL (ESED 5234G) was taken previously, acceptable alternatives include the following: Applied Linguistics: ESOL (ESED 5233G); Methods for ESOL (ESED 5235G); Teaching Literacy with English Language Learners (READ 7432); Applied English Grammar (LING 6133); Language, Nation, and Globalization (LING 6231); or Teaching English Internationally (LING 6233).
Other Program Requirements
Successfully complete assessments identified at each program transition point.
Maintain an active account with the COE electronic data management system.
Claim Georgia Southern University as your program provider in your MyPSC Account during your first term of enrollment (see information under MyPSC Account in Graduate Catalog, College of Education).