Non-Medical Leave of Absence

If it is necessary to interrupt progress toward the degree, the student may petition for a non-medical leave of absence of up to one year. The petition must be submitted at least one month before the effective date of leave. The major professor, the department chair, and the Director of Graduate Studies must grant approval. The Director of Graduate Studies will establish the conditions of the leave. An extension of a leave of absence beyond one year may be granted by the Director of Graduate Studies upon recommendation of the student's dissertation committee.

Students may apply for Medical Leave as outlined under "Medical Withdrawal or Leave of Absence". Students approved for medical or non-medical leave are not required to be registered during the approved medical leave period. The approved medical leave time period does not count in the degree time limit.