Dietetic Internship Certificate Program
Requirements: 13 Credit Hours
The program, with concentrations in community nutrition and school nutrition, consists of 13 credits and 1200 supervised practice hours that occur in the community nutrition, food systems administration, and clinical nutrition practice areas. Students will take five courses: School Nutrition Administration, Applied Medical Nutrition Therapy, Energy Balance for Weight Management, Public Health & Community Nutrition, and Culinary Skills. Previous graduate course work may be accepted at the discretion of the Program Director. Previous graduate course work must be supported by an institutional catalog description and course syllabus.
Meeting minimum entry requirements does guarantee a seat in the program; admission to the program is limited to 10 seats in the Community Nutrition concentration and 10 seats in the School Nutrition concentration.
- Completion of a Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD), accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education of Nutrition & Dietetics, the accrediting agency of the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics, with coursework completed within the last 10 years
- Minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher (on a 4.0 scale), with a minimum of a ‘C’ in prerequisite DPD, math, and science coursework
- TOEFL IBT score of 80 with a minimum score of 20 in each of the four exam sub-sections (international students)
- Completion of dietetic related volunteer and work experience, in the fields of nutrition, food science, health, laboratory or clinical research, foodservice, food industry, nutrition education, or health promotion
- Completion of the on-line Graduate Application for Admission Form.
- Submission of the $50.00 Graduate School application fee at: http://chhs.georgiasouthern.edu/hk/graduate/dietetic-internship/approximate-expenses/.
- Official transcripts from each college or university previously attended
- Submission to the Office of Health Services the Certificate of Immunization Form, available at http://auxiliary.georgiasouthern.edu/healthservices/immunization/.
- Completion of the Georgia Southern Dietetic Internship (DI) on-line application packet with the following:
- Georgia Southern DI Application Form
- Intent to Complete or Verification of Completion of a Didactic Program in Dietetics
- Personal statement (8000 character limit) discussing the following:
- Why you want to enter the dietetics profession
- Your interest in community nutrition or in school nutrition (choose only one)
- Your short-term and long-term goals
- Experiences and skills that reflect your ability to be successful in the dietetic internship and as a registered dietitian
- An assessment of the qualities, knowledge, and skills you feel you need or wish to improve upon
- Other information you consider important for the selection process
- Resume that includes education, work and professional history, recognitions/awards, membership and participation in professional organizations, dietetic related volunteer experience, other experiences related to the dietetic internship, and contact information for a minimum of three references
- Three letters of reference
- Submission of the $50.00 Georgia Southern DI application fee at:
- Completion of a pre-admission interview
- Completion of a pre-admission math quiz
NOTE: Contact the Office of Graduate Admissions for other admissions related information.
|NTFS 6110||Culinary Skills||1|
|NTFS 7334||Applied Medical Nutrition Therapy||3|
|NTFS 7335||Public Health & Community Nutrition||3|
|NTFS 7336||School Nutrition Administration||3|
|NTFS 7339||Energy Balance for Weight Management||3|
|Total Credit Hours||13|
At the completion of 9 credits, the student must sign a form declaring that he/she will complete the Certificate Program (total 13 credits) or will apply for admission to a degree seeking program. This is necessary because only 9 credits (no more than 3 courses) of non-degree course work may be accepted towards completion of a degree program (some exceptions; please see the Georgia Southern University Graduate Catalog).
School of Health & Kinesiology
Georgia Southern University
P.O. Box 8076
Statesboro, GA 30460
FAX: (912) 478-0381