Public Health M.P.H. (Concentration in Community Health)
Degree Requirements: 45 Credit Hours
Degree Admission Requirements
- Completion of an application in SOPHAS.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Minimum cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 (4.0 scale).
- Official scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- TOEFL scores are required for international applicants.
- A resume that includes the following:
- educational experiences,
- professional goals and objectives,
- work history,
- professional experiences, memberships and/or participation in professional organizations, and
- experiences in public health programs.
- Three letters of reference.
- Statement of purpose (500-1000 words) that conveys the applicant's reasons for pursuing graduate study in public health/community health and how admission into the program relates to the applicant's professional aspirations.
Applicants may be admitted on a provisional basis based upon the evaluation of their application materials. Provisional admission is for applicants who do not satisfy full admission requirements or applicants who require prerequisite coursework prior to entering into a particular program study.NOTE: Prerequisite undergraduate course work may be required. Contact the Division Director in the Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health for complete information.
|Public Health Core Courses|
|PUBH 5520G||Introduction to Public Health||2|
|PUBH 6532||Environmental Health||3|
|PUBH 6534||Health Policy and Management||3|
|PUBH 6535||Social and Behavioral Sciences and Public Health||3|
|Community Health Courses|
|COHE 6130||Research Methods in Health Science||3|
|COHE 7232||Health Promotion Planning||3|
|COHE 7233||Ecologically Focused Program Evaluation||3|
|COHE 7234||Community Health Analysis||3|
|COHE 7237||Rural Community Health Issues||3|
|COHE 7238||Communication for Change||3|
|Practicum and Culminating Experience|
|PUBH 7530||Integrated Capstone Experience||3|
|PUBH 7790||Practicum in Public Health||3|
|Total Credit Hours||45|
M.P.H. - Community Health Concentration Competencies
At the completion of the M.P.H. degree program all Community Health students will be able to:
Cross-Cutting Competencies for the MPH Degree
- Demonstrate effective written and oral skills for communicating with different audiences in the context of professional public health activities. (Communication and Informatics)
- Use information technology to access, evaluate, and interpret public health data. (Communication and Informatics)
- Describe the roles of history, power, privilege and structural inequality in producing health disparities. (Diversity and Culture)
- Explain how professional ethics and practices relate to equity and accountability in diverse community settings. (Diversity and Culture)
- Develop public health programs and strategies responsive to the diverse cultural values and traditions of the communities being served. (Diversity and Culture)
MPH Program Competencies for Community Health
- Identify basic theories, concepts and models from a range of social and behavioral disciplines that are used in public health research and practice.
- Identify the causes of social and behavioral factors that affect health of individuals and populations.
- Identify individual, organizational and community concerns, assets resources and deficits for social and behavioral science interventions.
- Identify critical stakeholders for the planning, implementation and evaluation of public health programs, policies and interventions.
- Describe steps and procedures for the planning, implementation and evaluation of public health programs, policies and interventions.
- Describe the role of social and community factors in both the onset and solution of public health problems.
- Describe the merits of social and behavioral science interventions and policies.
- Apply evidence-based approaches in the development and evaluation of social and behavioral science interventions.
- Apply ethical principles to public health program planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Specify multiple targets and levels of intervention for social and behavioral science programs and/or policies.
Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health
P.O. Box 8015
Statesboro, GA 30460
Phone: (912) 478-2674
FAX: (912) 478-5811