Public Health M.P.H. (Concentration in Epidemiology)
Degree Requirements: 45 Credit Hours
Degree Admission Requirements
- Completion of an application in SOPHAS.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Minimum cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 (4.0 scale).
- Official scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- TOEFL scores are required for international applicants.
- A resume that includes the following:
- educational experiences,
- professional goals and objectives,
- work history,
- professional experiences, memberships and/or participation in professional organizations, and
- experiences in public health programs.
- Three letters of reference.
- Statement of purpose (500-1000 words) that conveys the applicant's reasons for pursuing graduate study in in public health/epidemiology and how admission into the program relates to the applicant's professional aspirations.
Applicants may be admitted on a provisional basis based upon the evaluation of their application materials. Provisional admission is for applicants who do not satisfy full admission requirements or applicants who require prerequisite coursework prior to entering into a particular program study.NOTE: Prerequisite undergraduate course work may be required. Contact the Division Director in the Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health for complete information.
|Public Health Core Courses|
|BIOS 6541||Biostatistics for Biostatistics & Epidemiology Majors||4|
|PUBH 5520G||Introduction to Public Health||2|
|PUBH 6532||Environmental Health||3|
|PUBH 6534||Health Policy and Management||3|
|PUBH 6535||Social and Behavioral Sciences and Public Health||3|
|EPID 7131||Epidemiology of Chronic Disease||3|
|EPID 7133||Epidemiologic Research Methods I||3|
|EPID 7134||Epidemiologic Research Methods II||3|
|EPID 7135||Epidemiology of Infectious Disease||3|
|EPID 7230||Social Epidemiology and Health Equity||3|
|EPID 7233||Public Health Surveillance||3|
|Practicum and Culminating Experience|
|PUBH 7530||Integrated Capstone Experience||3|
|PUBH 7790||Practicum in Public Health||3|
|Total Credit Hours||45|
M.P.H. - Epidemiology Concentration Competencies
Upon completion of the M.P.H. Epidemiology Program students will be able to:
Cross-Cutting Competencies for the MPH Degree
- Demonstrate effective written and oral skills for communicating with different audiences in the context of professional public health activities. (Communication and Informatics)
- Use information technology to access, evaluate, and interpret public health data. (Communication and Informatics)
- Describe the roles of history, power, privilege and structural inequality in producing health disparities. (Diversity and Culture)
- Explain how professional ethics and practices relate to equity and accountability in diverse community settings. (Diversity and Culture)
- Develop public health programs and strategies responsive to the diverse cultural values and traditions of the communities being served. (Diversity and Culture)
MPH Program Competencies in Epidemiology
- Identify key sources of data for epidemiologic purposes. Identify the principles and limitations of public health screening programs.
- Describe a public health problem in terms of magnitude, person, time and place.
- Explain the importance of epidemiology for informing scientific, ethical, economic and political discussion of health issues.
- Comprehend basic ethical and legal principles pertaining to the collection, maintenance, use and dissemination of epidemiologic data.
- Apply the basic terminology and definitions of epidemiology.
- Calculate basic epidemiology measures.
- Communicate epidemiologic information to lay and professional audiences.
- Draw appropriate inferences from epidemiologic data.
- Evaluate the strengths and limitations of epidemiologic reports.
Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health
P.O. Box 8015
Statesboro, GA 30460
Phone: (912) 478-2674