Certificate in Public History
Requirements: 15 Credit Hours
Students who wish to obtain the Certificate in Public History need not be enrolled in the M.A. in History program but must still apply and be admitted to the College of Graduate Studies.
Applicants seeking admission to the Certificate in Public History must have:
- Completed requirements for the Bachelor’s degree in a college accredited by the proper regional accrediting associations.
- A 3.0 (4.0 scale) cumulative grade point average or higher on all undergraduate work, with a 3.0 cumulative GPA in history and no grade in history lower than a “C”.
- An undergraduate major or the equivalent in history. Students with majors in other fields of study are given equal consideration for admission providing they either have
- three years of history-related professional work experience OR
- at least 15 credits (or quarter-system equivalent) of history (at least 12 credits at the upper division level and a total of 30 credits in the social sciences and humanities).
- Two letters of recommendation by individuals who are familiar with the applicant’s potential for successful graduate study.
- A statement of purpose (approximately 250 words) outlining the applicant’s interest in graduate study in public history.
Non-traditional students and applicants not meeting the above requirements may be considered for Provisional (Probationary) admission as determined on a case-by-case basis.
Program of Study
|HIST 6631||Advanced Topics Public History||3|
|HIST 7651||Seminar in Public History||3|
|HIST 7661||Seminar in Museum Studies||3|
|HIST 7791||Graduate Internship in History||3|
|HIST 7990||Non-Thesis Project in History||3|
|Total Credit Hours||15|
Other Program Requirements
- Students enrolled in the M.A. in History program must complete an additional six (6) credits of electives, chosen with the approval of the Director of Graduate Studies in History.
- Students must pass an oral defense of the Non-Thesis Project.
Department of History
Georgia Southern University
P.O. Box 8054
Statesboro, GA 30460-8054