When the student is notified of admission to the College of Graduate Studies, a graduate faculty member in the student's major field will be assigned as the advisor. A graduate student may request a change in advisor by contacting the Graduate Program Director of the program in writing. If the request is granted, the student will be notified in writing (email).

Graduate student advisors will assist in:

  • helping the student plan a program of study in keeping with the student's field and goals;
  • approving course selection;
  • reviewing and endorsing the Program of Study.

Students who are initially uncertain about their graduate program of study and graduate transient students may be advised by the College of Graduate Studies. International graduate students will be advised by a faculty advisor in their academic program. Graduate students with physical or developmental disabilities are encouraged to avail themselves of the services of the Student Disability Resource Center (SDRC).