Subject to the limitations and qualifications stated elsewhere in this catalog, the requirements for the baccalaureate degree are as follows:
- Undergraduate students should have their programs of study checked with their advisors at least three semesters before anticipated completion of degree and submit an “Application for Graduation.” All degree seeking graduate students expecting to graduate must apply for graduation no later than the semester before degree requirements are expected to be completed.
- To have a degree awarded, the graduation fee must be paid and all other financial obligations or “holds” must be satisfied or removed before the end of the semester that the student is planning to graduate.
- Students must earn at least 25 percent (30-34 credit hours) of their degree requirements in residence at Georgia Southern University. The last 25 percent (30-34 credit hours) of credit must be earned at Georgia Southern University, unless an exception is made for the student to be a transient student at another institution. A student cannot complete requirements immediately following the term he/she is in attendance as a transient student at another institution unless an official transcript of transient credit is received by the Registrar prior to the end of the semester at Georgia Southern University.
- For the B.A. degree, a maximum of 32-34 credit hours of upper division course work in the major may be allowed to count toward the minimum of 126 credit hours required for graduation.
- For the B.S. degree, a maximum of 40 credit hours of upper division course work in the major may be allowed to count toward the minimum of 126-135 credit hours required for graduation.
- For the B.S.N. degree, a maximum of 30 credit hours of upper division course work in the major may be allowed to count toward the minimum of 120 credit hours required for graduation.
- At least half of the courses required in the major must be taken at Georgia Southern University.
- At least nine credit hours of the 15 required in the minor must be taken at Georgia Southern University.
- At least 12 credit hours of the 18 required in the concentration must be taken at Georgia Southern University.
- A maximum of three credit hours may be taken under the S/U grading system within any minor.
- The total institution cumulative GPA of all courses (at least 120 credit hours) applying to the degree must be 2.0.
- A student must fulfill all major, minor and specific requirements prescribed for the degree and satisfy the legal requirements with regard to evidence of an understanding of the History and Constitutions of Georgia and of the United States.
- A student must satisfy the Regents’ Test requirement for the University System of Georgia. Exemptions will be evidence of competence and shall satisfy the requirement. All students completing Composition I (ENGL 1101) and Composition II (ENGL 1102) or their equivalents with a minimum grade of "C" will have satisfied this requirement. This is a requirement for graduation.
- All students will be required to complete any current requirements beyond the catalog, such as legislative, certification and Board of Regents requirements.
- Advisors may recommend course substitutions in the major when deemed necessary by submitting the request for approval to their department chair. The substitution is then submitted to the Registrar who will review each request in accordance with the Board of Regents and institutional policies.
- For students whose initial enrollment is Fall 1998 and after, Methods of Learning (GSU 1120) will not apply to the degree.
- Credit for Military Science (MSCI) Courses will appear on the student’s record. For students who are not pursuing a Military Science minor, four of these credit hours, either transfer or resident, may be applied toward the 120-135 credit hours required for a degree provided it meets with the approval of the appropriate advisor and department.
- A minimum grade of “C” is required in all Area A1 and A2 courses.
- A maximum of five physical activity credit hours may be applied to the 126-135 hours required for a degree.
- Students typically satisfy the requirements for graduation listed in the catalog when they initially enroll at Georgia Southern University. However, with the approval of their advisor, students enrolled Fall 1998 and after may elect to satisfy the graduation requirements specified in any of the catalogs in effect while they are enrolled. A change of major does not constitute a change of catalog for these students. If a major is changed after Fall 1998, students must satisfy semester major requirements. However, if a student has been out of school for 10 or more calendar years and re-enters, the current catalog requirements (at time of re-entry) will apply. Any exceptions require the approval of the advisor, department chair, and dean.
- All outstanding “I” or “IP” grades must be cleared and all transcripts from other institutions must be received before the end of the term the student plans to graduate.
- Academic and financial obligations not met before the end of the semester for which a student has applied to graduate will result in the conferring of the degree the following semester in which these obligations are met.
- Courses earned with a "C" or higher grade to satisfy the Required High School Curriculum can also count toward graduation.
To earn two majors, both have to be under the same degree.
For example: B.A. Spanish/B.A. Biology or B.S. Psychology/B.S. Mathematics. Students seeking a second major within the same degree program must complete the specific requirements for both majors. An application for the second major must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar. Both majors will be noted on the transcript.
A student who has been awarded a baccalaureate degree from Georgia Southern or another accredited institution may be granted a second baccalaureate degree provided the following conditions have been fulfilled:
- If the first degree is earned at Georgia Southern, a student may seek a second undergraduate degree only if the degree is different from the first degree.
- The student must satisfy all major requirements listed for the chosen program of study.
- The student must complete the history and constitution requirements.
- The student must earn a minimum of 30-34 additional credits at Georgia Southern.
- The student must earn at least 50% of the credit hours toward the major at Georgia Southern.
- The requirement of a minor for the B.A. degrees will be waived, if the first degree content area is among the recognized minors at Georgia Southern as listed in the “Minors” section of the Georgia Southern catalog. If the student seeks a B.A. and has not already completed a major or minor recognized by Georgia Southern, the student would be required to complete a minor from the list of approved minors. The minor requirement is also waived for students who hold a B.G.S. from Georgia Southern and are seeking a B.A. degree.
- The student may work on two degrees at the same time.
Graduation With Honors
Honors are computed in the Office of the Registrar and all questions concerning honors should be directed to that office. There are three sets of criteria in effect, and the set that applies is determined by the student’s first date of attendance at Georgia Southern. Only baccalaureate degree candidates are eligible to graduate with honors. Students seeking graduate degrees are not eligible for graduation with honors. The following requirements must be met:
- At least 60 hours of credit must be earned at Georgia Southern University. Hours enrolled in Spring for May candidates will be computed to reach the 60 hours. Spring and Summer hours enrolled for Summer candidates who elect to participate in the May graduation will be computed to reach the 60 hours. Hours enrolled in Fall for December candidates will be computed to reach the 60 hours. Attaining the required 60 hours will ensure that the candidate will be recognized as graduating with honors at the respective commencement ceremony.
- To determine eligibility for recognition of graduation with honors at the ceremony, the student’s grade point average at the end of the term prior to the commencement ceremony will be used. After graduation and all final grades are recorded and all degree requirements are complete, honors are re-calculated and will be added to diplomas and transcripts, if honors are achieved.
- The first GPA criterion is that the minimum average for a particular level of honors must be earned on all undergraduate course work taken at Georgia Southern University.
- The second GPA criterion is that the minimum average for a particular level of honors must be earned on all undergraduate course work attempted at all institutions attended.
- If applying the two GPA criteria, the lower GPA will be used to assess the level of honors, if any.
- The honors assigned and the scholastic records are:
Honors Cum Laude 3.5 - 3.69 Magna Cum Laude 3.7 - 3.89 Summa Cum Laude 3.9 - 4.0
- HONORS FOR SUBSEQUENT BACCALAUREATE DEGREES: In addition to the preceding, a third GPA criterion applies to students earning subsequent undergraduate degrees. The student must earn the minimum average for a particular level of honors on all course work taken between the most recent undergraduate degree and the current degree. The lowest of the three GPA calculations will be applied to assess the level of honors, if any.
- HONORS FOR STUDENTS WHO SELECT ACADEMIC RENEWAL: Please refer to the policy regarding Academic Renewal.