Honors Day - Academic Awards
Each year in April, the University honors outstanding students from all disciplines and areas of college life. The Honors Day Convocation highlights outstanding awards such as the “University System Academic Recognition Award,” “The Georgia Southern Alumni Association Scholarship Award,” Outstanding Scholar, selection to the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi and other honor societies, and Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges. In addition, other students receive special awards from departments.
Election to membership in the national Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi will be made on the basis of the following criteria:
- A GPA of 3.5 or above with senior classification; 3.7 or above with junior classification;
- Sound character;
- Enrollment at Georgia Southern University for at least one year;
- Juniors elected may not exceed one percent of candidates for graduation that year;
- Seniors elected may not exceed ten percent of candidates for graduation that year;
- Graduates elected may not exceed ten percent of students receiving graduate degrees that year.
To be honored for Outstanding Scholar, the student must have earned at Georgia Southern University a total institution GPA of 3.5 or higher. The student must have completed at least 15 credit hours of resident degree credit at Georgia Southern University. This group will include currently enrolled undergraduate students, undergraduate students who have completed requirements for graduation, and baccalaureate students working toward a second degree. These students will be recognized by standing as a group on Honors Day. Seniors who have applied for graduation for the upcoming Spring, Summer, and Fall commencement will receive a certificate for “Outstanding Scholar Graduating Senior with a GPA of 3.9 or Higher at Georgia Southern” and will be recognized on stage if they meet the following criteria:
- Spring prospective graduates must be enrolled in enough credit hours Spring semester to reach 60 Georgia Southern University credit hours at the end of Spring.
- Summer prospective graduates must be enrolled in enough credit hours Spring and Summer semesters to reach 60 Georgia Southern University credit hours at the end of Summer.
- Graduates must have a 3.9 GPA or higher at Georgia Southern.
Selections for Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges will be made on the basis of the following criteria:
- An institution GPA of 3.0 or above;
- Campus and/or community leadership;
- Campus and/or community service;
- Junior or senior classification.
Any member of the faculty, staff, or student body may nominate candidates for Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges. Final selections will be made by the Honors Committee from these nominations. These students will be recognized by standing as a group on Honors Day.
Selections for Special Awards will be made by the various organizations and departments in keeping with established criteria.
Any organization wishing to present a new award should make application through the Honors Day Committee. New awards to be presented on Honors Day must be submitted for approval by the Honors Day Committee before the beginning of the previous Fall semester. Criteria and information about the award can be sent to the Office of the Registrar and the coordinator of Honors Day will submit the information to the Honors Day Committee for review.