Modern Languages B.A. (Concentration in Spanish)
Degree Requirements: 124 Credit Hours
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
See Modern Languages Suggested Chronology for four year suggested course rotation.
|General Requirements (Core Area A - E)||42|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major|
|SPAN 2001||Intermediate Spanish I (or equivalent)||3|
|SPAN 2002||Intermediate Spanish II (or equivalent)||3|
|SPAN 2060||Accelerated Intermediate Spanish (or equivalent)||6|
|Any lower-division course in any field in which knowledge of a foreign language will benefit the student is acceptable for Area F. Students should consult their advisor on appropriate courses for Area F. Additional language courses are encouraged.|
|Elementary Arabic I|
|Elementary Arabic II|
|Intermediate Arabic I|
|Intermediate Arabic II|
|Elementary Chinese I|
|Elementary Chinese II|
|Intermediate Chinese I|
|Intermediate Chinese II|
|Elementary French I|
|Elementary French II|
|Intermediate French I|
|Intermediate French II|
|Selected Topics in Foreign Languages|
|Intermediate Foreign Language|
|Elementary German I|
|Elementary German II|
|Intermediate German I|
|Intermediate German II|
|Elementary Japanese I|
|Elementary Japanese II|
|Intermediate Japanese I|
|Intermediate Japanese II|
|Elementary Latin I|
|Elementary Latin II|
|Intermediate Latin I|
|Intermediate Latin II|
|Elementary Spanish I|
|Elementary Spanish II|
|SPAN 3131||Critical Reading and Writing I||3|
|SPAN 3132||Spanish Phonetics and Phonology||3|
|SPAN 4131||Critical Reading & Writing II||3|
|15 upper-division credit hours in SPAN, at least 6 of which must be at the 4000/5000 level.||15|
|Minor or Second Major Required|
|Select 15-30 credit hours of Minor or Second Major courses (credit hours will vary according to minor or second major)||15-30|
|Select 6-21 credit hours of Electives as needed to complete 124 total credit hours (advisor approved)||6-21|
|Total Credit Hours||124|
Other Program Requirements
- Students must earn a minimum grade of “C” in each course in Spanish.
- Students must complete the Modern Languages Exit Exam.
- Students must complete a minimum of 39 upper-division hours.
Honors in Spanish
To graduate with Honors in Modern Languages with a concentration in Spanish, a student must:
- be admitted to the University Honors Program;
- successfully complete an additional six credit hours in SPAN at the 4000- or 5000-level (for a total of 30 hours of upper-division SPAN), three of which must be SPAN 4890 (Honors);
- successfully complete and present an Honors Thesis or Capstone Project;
- be in good standing in the University Honors Program at the time of graduation.
All Modern Languages majors, including students in the UHP, are advised by an advisor located in the Forrest Drive Building, (912) 478-7740.