Secondary Education B.S.Ed. (Emphasis in English Education - Certification Track)
Degree Requirements: 125 Credit Hours
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E
|General Requirements (Core Areas A - E)||42|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major|
|EDUC 2090||PPB Practicum||0|
|EDUC 2110||Investigating Critical and Contemporary Issues in Education||3|
|EDUC 2120||Exploring Socio-Cultural Perspectives on Diversity in Educational Contexts||3|
|Other Courses to Teaching Field|
|ENGL 2100||Literature And Humanities (if taken in Core Area C, substitute 3 credit hours of ENGL at the 2000 level)||3|
|ENGL 2111||World Literature I||3|
|ENGL 2112||World Literature II||3|
|WRIT 2133||Forms in Writing||3|
|EDUC 2130||Exploring Learning and Teaching||3|
|SCED 3121||Planning and Instruction for Secondary Educators||2|
|SCED 3337||Methods of Teaching Language Arts in Secondary Schools||3|
|SCED 3721||Secondary School Practicum I||2|
|SCED 4137||Instructional Assessment for Diverse Learners||3|
|SCED 4231||Content Specific Pedagogy for Secondary Education||3|
|SCED 4632||Student Teaching Seminar in Secondary Education||3|
|SCED 4732||Secondary School Practicum II||3|
|SCED 4739||Student Teaching Residency I||3|
|SCED 5799||Student Teaching in Secondary Education||9|
|SPED 3332||Introduction to SPED in Middle and Secondary Grades||3|
|Select 6 credit hours from the following:||6|
|Teaching Literature to Middle and Secondary School Students|
|Literature for Adolescents|
|Linguistics and Grammar for Teachers|
|Select 9 credit hours of Literature courses 3000 level or above (advisor approval required)||9|
|Select 6 credit hours in Writing courses 3000 level or above (advisor approval required)||6|
|Select 3 credit hours in English or Linguistics courses 30000 level or above (advisor approval required)||3|
|Total Credit Hours||125|
Program Admission Criteria
See B.S.Ed. Teacher Education Admission Requirements
- Must be admitted into the Teacher Education Program and qualify for a Georgia Preservice Certificate.
Other Program Requirements
- Must meet all requirements for retention in the Teacher Education Program.;
- Must earn a minimum grade of "C" on all courses in Area F of the Core, the teaching field, and professional education; earn an adjusted GPA of 2.75 or higher in the teaching field; and maintain overall cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher.
- Must successfully complete all field experiences.
- Must take courses in the proper sequence.
- Courses in Area F must be taken prior to admission into the Teacher EducationProgram.
- Take only one practicum course per semester.
- Must meet requirements for admission to Student Teaching, (see catalog section, Admission to Student Teaching).
- Must successfully complete assessments identified at each program transition point.
Honors in Secondary Education
To graduate with Honors in Secondary Education, a student must:
- be admitted to the University HonorsProgram;
- successfully complete at least four credit hours of COED 3610 over four semesters;
- successfully complete and present an Honors Thesis or Capstone Project;
- be in good standing in the University Honors Program at the time of graduation.
Each student in Secondary Education is assigned to an advisor in the College of Education Student Success Center for program planning and course scheduling. Telephone: (912) 478-0698. E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.