Secondary Education B.S.Ed. (Emphasis in History Education - Certification Track)
Degree Requirements: 125 Credit Hours
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
|General Requirements (Core Areas A - E)||42|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major|
|EDUC 2090||PPB Practicum||0|
|EDUC 2110||Investigating Critical and Contemporary Issues in Education||3|
|EDUC 2120||Exploring Socio-Cultural Perspectives on Diversity in Educational Contexts||3|
|Other Courses to Teaching Field|
|Select 12 credit hours of HIST courses (HIST 1111 or HIST 1112 and HIST 2112 must be taken if not taken in Area B or E of the Core; at least 6 credit hours of HIST credit at the 2000 level)||12|
|EDUC 2130||Exploring Learning and Teaching||3|
|SCED 3121||Planning and Instruction for Secondary Educators||2|
|SCED 3437||Methods of Teaching Social Science in Secondary Schools||3|
|SCED 3721||Secondary School Practicum I||2|
|SCED 4137||Instructional Assessment for Diverse Learners||3|
|SCED 4231||Content Specific Pedagogy for Secondary Education||3|
|SCED 4632||Student Teaching Seminar in Secondary Education||3|
|SCED 4732||Secondary School Practicum II||3|
|SCED 4739||Student Teaching Residency I||3|
|SCED 5799||Student Teaching in Secondary Education||9|
|SPED 3333||Introduction to Special Education||3|
|ECON 5131||Teaching Economics K-12||3|
|GEOG Course at 3000 level or higher||3|
|HIST 2630||Historical Methods||3|
|HIST 4130||Georgia History||3|
|POLS 3320||American Political Thought||3|
|Select one US History course from the following:||3|
|African American History to 1865|
|African American History since 1865|
|American Economic History|
|US Foreign Relations to World War I|
|History of Religion in the U.S.|
|American Military History|
|History of Latinos/as in the United States|
|Women & Gender in Amer Hist|
|American Indian History|
|Working Class History in the United States|
|The American City|
|Select one European History course from the following:||3|
|Modern Britain: 1485 to the Present|
|Modern European Thought|
|The Scientific Revolution|
|Modern East Central Europe|
|Age of Revolutions in Europe and the Atlantic World|
|Select one Non-European History course from the following:||3|
|History of Ancient Near East|
|The History of Islam in Southeast Asia|
|The Muslim World Since Genghis Khan|
|History of Africa since 1800|
|The Modern Middle East|
|Modern Southeast Asia|
|Latin America since Independence|
|Total Credit Hours||125|
Program Admission Criteria
See B.S.Ed. Teacher Education Admission Requirements
- Must be admitted into the Teacher Education Program and qualify for a Georgia Preservice Certificate.
Other Program Requirements
- Must meet all requirements for retention in the Teacher Education Program.
- Must earn a minimum grade of "C" on all courses in Area F of the Core, the teaching field, and professional education; earn an adjusted GPA of 2.75 or higher in the teaching field; and maintain overall cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher.
- Must successfully complete all field experiences.
- Must take courses in the proper sequence.
- Courses in Area F must be taken prior to admission into the Teacher EducationProgram.
- Take only one practicum course per semester.
- Must meet requirements for admission to Student Teaching, (see catalog section, Admission to Student Teaching).
- Must successfully complete assessments identified at each program transition point.
Honors in Secondary Education
To graduate with Honors in Secondary Education, a student must:
- be admitted to the University HonorsProgram;
- successfully complete at least four credit hours of COED 3610 Honors Research Seminar Education over four semesters;
- successfully complete and present an Honors Thesis or Capstone Project;
- be in good standing in the University Honors Program at the time of graduation.
Each student in Secondary Education is assigned to an advisor in the College of Education Student Success Center for program planning and course scheduling. Telephone: (912) 478-0698. E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.