Secondary Education B.S.Ed. (Emphasis in Mathematics Education - Certification Track)
Degree Requirements: 125 Credit Hours
Additional admission requirements must be met to enter the Secondary Education B.S.Ed. Concentration in Mathematics Education, Certification Track (See B.S.Ed. Teacher Education Admission Requirements). Students seeking teacher certification are first admitted to the Professional Studies Secondary Education B.S.Ed. Concentration in Mathematics Education, Non-Certification Track. Upon meeting B.S.Ed. teacher education admission requirements at the completion of Area F, students will be admitted to the certification track. Successful completion of all program requirements and all Georgia Professional Standards Commission certification requirements will prepare an individual to gain teacher certification in Georgia.
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
|General Requirements (Core Areas A - E)||42|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major|
|EDUC 2090||PPB Practicum||0|
|EDUC 2110||Investigating Critical and Contemporary Issues in Education||3|
|EDUC 2120||Exploring Socio-Cultural Perspectives on Diversity in Educational Contexts||3|
|Other Courses to Teaching Field|
|MATH 1441||Calculus I||1|
|MATH 2160||Elementary Linear Algebra||3|
|MATH 2242||Calculus II||1|
|MATH 2243||Calculus III||4|
|MATH 2332||Mathematical Structures||3|
|EDUC 2130||Exploring Learning and Teaching||3|
|SCED 3121||Planning and Instruction for Secondary Educators||2|
|SCED 3537||Methods of Teaching Mathematics in Secondary School||3|
|SCED 3721||Secondary School Practicum I||2|
|SCED 4137||Instructional Assessment for Diverse Learners||3|
|SCED 4231||Content Specific Pedagogy for Secondary Education||3|
|SCED 4632||Student Teaching Seminar in Secondary Education||3|
|SCED 4732||Secondary School Practicum II||3|
|SCED 4739||Student Teaching Residency I||3|
|SCED 5799||Student Teaching in Secondary Education||9|
|SPED 3332||Introduction to SPED in Middle and Secondary Grades||3|
|MATH 3360||Modern Geometry||3|
|MATH 5136||History of Mathematics||3|
|MATH 5234||Number Theory||3|
|MATH 5331||Analysis I||3|
|MATH 5333||Modern Algebra I||3|
|MATH 5335||Intermediate Linear Algebra||3|
|STAT 5531||Statistical Methods I||3|
|Total Credit Hours||125|
Program Admission Criteria
See B.S.Ed. Teacher Education Admission Requirements
- Must be admitted into the Teacher Education Program and qualify for a Georgia Preservice Certificate
Other Program Requirements
- Must meet all requirements for retention in the Teacher Education Program.
- Must earn a minimum grade of "C" on all courses in Area F of the Core, the teaching field, and professional education; earn an adjusted GPA of 2.75 or higher in the teaching field; and maintain overall cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher.
- Must successfully complete all field experiences.
- Must take courses in the proper sequence.
- Courses in Area F must be taken prior to admission into the Teacher Education Program.
- Take only one practicum course per semester.
- Must meet requirements for admission to Student Teaching, (see catalog section, Admission to Student Teaching).
- Must successfully complete assessments identified at each program transition point.
Honors in Secondary Education
To graduate with Honors in Secondary Education, a student must:
- Be admitted to the University Honors Program;
- Successfully complete at least four credit hours of COED 3610 Honors Research Seminar Education over four semesters;
- Successfully complete and present an Honors Thesis or Capstone Project;
- Be in good standing in the University Honors Program at the time of graduation.