Secondary Education B.S.Ed. (Emphasis Physics - Certification Track)
Degree Requirements: 125 Credit Hours
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
|General Requirements (Core Areas A - E)||42|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major|
|EDUC 2090||PPB Practicum||0|
|EDUC 2110||Investigating Critical and Contemporary Issues in Education||3|
|EDUC 2120||Exploring Socio-Cultural Perspectives on Diversity in Educational Contexts||3|
|Other Courses to Teaching Field|
|CHEM 1211K||Principles of Chemistry I||4|
|CHEM 1212K||Principles of Chemistry II||4|
|MATH 2242||Calculus II||4|
|ASTR 1010||Astronomy of the Solar System||3|
|ASTR 1020||Stellar and Galactic Astronomy||3|
|ASTR 1211||Astronomy Lab||1|
|EDUC 2130||Exploring Learning and Teaching||3|
|SCED 3121||Planning and Instruction for Secondary Educators||2|
|SCED 3237||Methods of Teaching Science in Secondary Schools||3|
|SCED 3721||Secondary School Practicum I||2|
|SCED 4137||Instructional Assessment for Diverse Learners||3|
|SCED 4231||Content Specific Pedagogy for Secondary Education||3|
|SCED 4632||Student Teaching Seminar in Secondary Education||3|
|SCED 4732||Secondary School Practicum II||3|
|SCED 4739||Student Teaching Residency I||3|
|SCED 5799||Student Teaching in Secondary Education||9|
|SPED 3332||Introduction to SPED in Middle and Secondary Grades||3|
|ASTR 3790||Teaching Internship in Astronomy||2|
|or PHYS 3790||Teaching Internship in Physics|
|MATH 1441||Calculus I (Carry-over from A2)||1|
|PHYS 3536||Modern Physics I||3|
|PHYS 3537||Modern Physics II||3|
|PHYS 4421||Advanced Physics Lab I||2|
|Select 6 credit hours from the following electives:||6|
|The Search for Life in the Universe|
|Observational Techniques in Astronomy|
|Chemical Kinetics and Thermodynamics|
|Introduction to Quantum Chemistry|
|Sound Waves and Acoustics|
|Introduction to General Relativity|
|Total Credit Hours||125|
Program Admission Criteria
See B.S.Ed. Teacher Education Admission Requirements.
- Must be admitted into the Teacher Education Program and qualify for a Georgia Preservice Certificate.
Other Program Requirements
- Must meet all requirements for retention in the Teacher Education Program.
- Must earn a minimum grade of "C" on all courses in Area F of the Core, the teaching field, and professional education; earn an adjusted GPA of 2.75 or higher in the teaching field; and maintain overall cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher.
- Must successfully complete all field experiences.
- Must take courses in the proper sequence.
- Courses in Area F must be taken prior to admission into the Teacher Education Program.
- Take only one practicum course per semester.
- Must meet requirements for admission to Student Teaching, (see catalog section, Admission to Student Teaching).
- Must successfully complete assessments identified at each program transition point.
Honors in Secondary Education
To graduate with Honors in Secondary Education, a student must:
- be admitted to the University Honors program;
- successfully complete at least four credit hours of Honors Research Seminar Education (COED 3610) over four semesters;
- successfully complete and present as Honors Thesis or Capstone Project;
- be in good standing in the University Honors Program at the time of graduation.