Secondary Education B.S.Ed. (Concentration in Chemistry Education)
Degree Requirements: 130 Credit Hours
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E
|Area A1 - Communication Skills|
|Select 6 credit hours from Area A1 of the Core Curriculum||6|
|Area A2 - Quantitative Skills|
|Select 3 credit hours from Area A2 of the Core Curriculum||3|
|Area B - Global Engagement|
|Select 4 credit hours from Area B of the Core Curriculum||4|
|Area C - Humanities, Fine Arts, and Ethics|
|Select 6 credit hours from Area C of the Core Curriculum||6|
|Area D - Natural Sciences, Mathematics, and Technology|
|Select 4 credit hours from Area D of the Core Curriculum||4|
|CHEM 1145||Principles of Chemistry I||4|
|CHEM 1146||Principles of Chemistry II||3|
|Area E - Social Sciences|
|Select 12 credit hours from Area E of the Core Curriculum||12|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major|
|EDUC 2110||Investigating Critical and Contemporary Issues in Education||3|
|EDUC 2120||Exploring Socio-Cultural Perspectives on Diversity in Educational Contexts||3|
|Other Courses to Teaching Field|
|Carry-over from D3||1|
|BIOL 2107||Principles of Biology I||3|
|BIOL 2107L||Principles of Biology I Laboratory||1|
|CHEM 2030||Principles of Chemistry Research||3|
|CHEM 2242||Analytical Chemistry||4|
|Health and Physical Education Activities|
|HLTH 1520||Healthful Living||2|
|Physical Education Activities||2|
|FYE 1220||First-Year Seminar||2|
|EDUC 2130||Exploring Learning and Teaching||3|
|ITEC 5233||Foundations of Technology-Enabled Learning||3|
|READ 3330||Content Literacy||3|
|SCED 3121||Curriculum for Secondary Education||2|
|SCED 4137||Differentiated Instruction||3|
|SCED 3237||Secondary Science Methods||3|
|SCED 3721||Secondary School Practicum I||2|
|SCED 4632||Student Teaching Seminar in Secondary Education||3|
|SCED 4732||Secondary School Practicum II||3|
|SCED 4739||Student Teaching Residency I||3|
|SCED 5799||Student Teaching in Secondary Education||9|
|SPED 3333||Introduction to Special Education||3|
|CHEM 3341||Organic Chemistry I||4|
|CHEM 3342||Organic Chemistry II||4|
|CHEM 5541||Biochemistry I||4|
|CHEM 5542||Biochemistry II||4|
|CHEM 3790||Teaching Internship in Chemistry||2|
|Upper Level Chemistry Electives (3000+, not including CHEM 3530)||6|
|Total Credit Hours||130|
Program Admission Criteria
See B.S.Ed. Degree Requirements
- Must be admitted into the Teacher Education Program and qualify for a Georgia Preservice Certificate.
Other Program Requirements:
- Must meet all requirements for retention in the Teacher Education Program.
- Must earn a minimum grade of "C" on all courses in Area F of the Core, the teaching field, and professional education; earn an adjusted GPA of 2.75 or higher in the teaching field; and maintain overall cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher.
- Must successfully complete all field experiences.
- Must take courses in the proper sequence.
- Courses in Area F must be taken prior to admission into the Teacher Education Program.
- Take only one practicum course per semester.
- Must meet requirements for admission to Student Teaching, (see catalog section, Admission to Student Teaching).
- Must successfully complete assessments identified at each program transition point.
Honors in Secondary Education
To graduate with Honors in Secondary Education, a student must:
- be admitted to the University Honors Program;
- successfully complete at least four credit hours of COED 3610H over four semesters;
- successfully complete and present an Honors Thesis or Capstone Project;
- be in good standing in the University Honors Program at the time of graduation.
Each student in Chemistry Education is assigned to an advisor in the College of Education Student Success Center for program planning and course scheduling. Telephone: (912) 478-0698. E-Mail: email@example.com