Secondary Education B.S.Ed. (Concentration in Mathematics Education)
Degree Requirements: 130 Credit Hours
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
|Area A1 - Communication Skills|
|Select 6 credit hours from Area A1 of the Core Curriculum||6|
|Area A2 - Quantitative Skills|
|MATH 1441||Calculus I||3|
|Area B - Global Engagement|
|Select 4 credit hours from Area B of the Core Curriculum||4|
|Area C - Humanities, Fine Arts, and Ethics|
|Select 6 credit hours from Area C of the Core Curriculum||6|
|Area D - Natural Sciences, Mathematics, and Technology|
|Select 8 credit hours from Area D of the Core Curriculum||8|
|MATH 2242||Calculus II||3|
|Area E - Social Sciences|
|Select 12 credit hours from Area E of the Core Curriculum||12|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major|
|EDUC 2110||Investigating Critical and Contemporary Issues in Education||3|
|EDUC 2120||Exploring Socio-Cultural Perspectives on Diversity in Educational Contexts||3|
|Other Courses to Teaching Field|
|MATH 1441||Calculus I||1|
|MATH 2242||Calculus II||1|
|MATH 2243||Calculus III||4|
|MATH 2331||Elementary Linear Algebra||3|
|MATH 2332||Mathematical Structures||3|
|Health and Physical Activities|
|HLTH 1520||Healthful Living||2|
|Physical Education Activities||2|
|FYE 1220||First-Year Seminar||2|
|EDUC 2130||Exploring Learning and Teaching||3|
|ITEC 5233||Foundations of Technology-Enabled Learning||3|
|READ 3330||Content Literacy||3|
|SCED 3121||Curriculum for Secondary Education||2|
|SCED 3537||Methods of Teaching Mathematics in Secondary School||3|
|SCED 3721||Secondary School Practicum I||2|
|SCED 4137||Differentiated Instruction||3|
|SCED 4732||Secondary School Practicum II||3|
|SCED 4739||Student Teaching Residency I||3|
|SCED 5799||Student Teaching in Secondary Education||9|
|SCED 4632||Student Teaching Seminar in Secondary Education||3|
|SPED 3333||Introduction to Special Education||3|
|MATH 3130||College Geometry||3|
|MATH 5136||History of Mathematics||3|
|MATH 5234||Number Theory||3|
|MATH 5331||Analysis I||3|
|MATH 5333||Modern Algebra I||3|
|MATH 5335||Intermediate Linear Algebra||3|
|STAT 5531||Statistical Methods I||3|
|Total Credit Hours||130|
Program Admission Criteria
See B.S.Ed. Degree Requirements
- Must be admitted into the Teacher Education Program and qualify for a Georgia Preservice Certificate
Other Program Requirements
- Must meet all requirements for retention in the Teacher Education Program.
- Must earn a minimum grade of "C" on all courses in Area F of the Core, the teaching field, and professional education; earn an adjusted GPA of 2.75 or higher in the teaching field; and maintain overall cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher.
- Must successfully complete all field experiences.
- Must take courses in the proper sequence.
- Courses in Area F must be taken prior to admission into the Teacher Education Program.
- Take only one practicum course per semester.
- Must meet requirements for admission to Student Teaching, (see catalog section, Admission to Student Teaching).
- Must successfully complete assessments identified at each program transition point.
Honors in Secondary Education
To graduate with Honors in Secondary Education, a student must:
- be admitted to the University Honors Program;
- successfully complete at least four credit hours of COED 3610H over four semesters;
- successfully complete and present an Honors Thesis or Capstone Project;
- be in good standing in the University Honors Program at the time of graduation.
Each student in Mathematics Education is assigned to an advisor in the College of Education Student Success Center for program planning and course scheduling. Telephone: (912) 478-0698. E-Mail: email@example.com