Degree Requirements: 126 Credit Hours
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
|Area A1 - Communication Skills|
|Select 6 credit hours from Area A1 of the Core Curriculum||6|
|Area A2 - Quantitative Skills|
|Select 3 credit hours from Area A2 of the Core Curriculum||3|
|Area B - Global Engagement|
|Select 4 credit hours from Area B of the Core Curriculum||4|
|Area C - Humanities, Fine Arts, and Ethics|
|Select 6 credit hours from Area C of the Core Curriculum||6|
|Area D - Natural Sciences, Mathematics, and Technology|
& CHEM 1146
|Principles of Chemistry I|
and Principles of Chemistry II (Recommended) 1
|Select 1 lecture/lab course from Area D2 Environmental Science of the Core Curriculum||4|
|Area E - Social Sciences|
|Select 12 credit hours from Area E of the Core Curriculum||12|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major|
|MATH 1441||Calculus I||4|
|MATH 2242||Calculus II||4|
|PHYS 2211||Principles of Physics I||4|
|PHYS 2212||Principles of Physics II||4|
|Math, Computer Science, Science Course approved by advisor - may include carryover from Area A2 (1) and/or Area D (1)||2|
|Health and Physical Education Activities|
|HLTH 1520||Healthful Living||2|
|Physical Education Activities||2|
|FYE 1220||First-Year Seminar||2|
|CHEM 2030||Principles of Chemistry Research||3|
|CHEM 2242||Analytical Chemistry||4|
|CHEM 3140||Advanced Inorganic Chemistry||4|
|CHEM 3341||Organic Chemistry I||4|
|CHEM 3342||Organic Chemistry II||4|
|CHEM 3441||Chemical Kinetics & Thermodynamics||4|
|CHEM 5541||Biochemistry I||4|
|Students must complete 8 additional hours of upper-level chemistry coursework* (3000-level and above, not to include CHEM 3530 Principles of Biochemistry) 2||8|
|Foreign Language Requirements (2002 Level)|
|Select 0-6 credit hours of Foreign Language (2002 Level)||0-6|
|Select 15 credit hours of Minor||15|
|Select 4-10 credit hours of Electives (At least 3 credit hours must be outside Chemistry)||4-10|
|Total Credit Hours||126|
The listed courses are recommended in Area D as prerequisites for major courses.
a maximum of 4 cr hrs of CHEM 4890 Chemical Research Experience and/or CHEM 4790 Chemistry Internship, and only 1 cr hr of CHEM 3790 Teaching Internship in Chemistry, may be counted toward the upper-level chemistry coursework.
Program Admission Criteria
- Students who wish to change their major to Chemistry must have a total institution GPA of 2.0 or better in all course work completed at Georgia Southern.
- Transfer students from other institutions who wish to major in Chemistry must have a GPA of 2.0 or better on all credit hours attempted at other institutions as well as those credit hours attempted at Georgia Southern.
Other Program Requirements
- Chemistry majors must maintain a "C" average in all major coursework which applies toward graduation.
Honors in Chemistry
To graduate with Honors in Chemistry, a student must:
- be admitted to the University Honors Program
- complete a capstone project equivalent to three credit hours with a measurable outcome approved by the Department of Chemistry
- maintain a 3.3 overall GPA, including a minimum GPA of 3.5 in all major courses applied toward graduation
This degree is certified by the American Chemical Society (ACS).
COSM Advisement Center, Engineering Building, Room 1116, (912) 478-0649