Degree Requirements: 126 Credit Hours
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
|Area A1 - Communication Skills|
|Select 6 credit hours from Area A1 of the Core Curriculum||6|
|Area A2 - Quantitative Skills|
|MATH 1101||Introduction to Mathematical Modeling||3|
|or MATH 1111||College Algebra|
|Area B - Global Engagement|
|Select 4 credit hours from Area B of the Core Curriculum||4|
|Area C - Humanities, Fine Arts, and Ethics|
|Select 6 credit hours from Area C of the Core Curriculum||6|
|Area D - Natural Sciences, Mathematics, and Technology|
|Select 11 credit hours from Area D of the Core Curriculum||11|
|Area E - Social Sciences|
|Select 12 credit hours from Area E of the Core Curriculum||12|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major|
|Foreign Language 2002 - Intermediate II||3|
|STAT 2231||Introduction to Statistics I||3|
|Select 12 credit hours of the following:||12|
Foreign Language through 2001
|Introduction to Anthropology|
|World History I: Development of World Civilization|
|Introduction to International Studies|
|Introduction to Sociology|
|Health and Physical Education Activities|
|HLTH 1520||Healthful Living||2|
|Physical Education Activities||2|
|FYE 1220||First-Year Seminar||2|
|GEOG 1101||Introduction to Human Geography||3|
|GEOG 1111||Climate and the Landscape||3|
|Select one of the following:||4|
|Introduction to GIS and Cartography|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Introduction to Africa and Its Diaspora|
Select 15 hours of Upper Division Geography courses (GEOG 3000-level and above). May include no more than 2 hours of GEOG 3790 - Teaching Internship in Geography and 6 hours of GEOG 5890 - Directed Study.
|Select 17 credit hours of Electives||17|
|Minor: Approved by advisor.|
|Select 15 credit hours of Minor (Strongly recommend minor in GIS)||15|
|Total Credit Hours||126|
- Geography majors must maintain an overall 2.0 GPA across all Geography coursework (any course with GEOG prefix).
Honors in Geography
Students majoring in Geography (BS or BA) may pursue an Honors in Geography program. Students are required to have a minimum GPA of 3.2 after 45 credit hours of coursework and approval of Geology and Geography faculty to commence the Honors program.
To graduate with Honors in Geography, a student must:
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.5 in the major and a 3.2 in a minor.
- Complete a senior thesis (BA or BS degree) with a minimum grade of “B” in GEOG 4610 Senior Thesis Seminar. The thesis will be supervised by a Geology/Geography faculty member.
- Complete Introduction to Research (GEOG 4120), Senior Thesis Research I (GEOG 4830), and Senior Thesis Research II (GEOG 4831) (senior thesis research sequence) for a total of 8 credit hours.
- Present a departmental seminar on the thesis research.
COSM Advisement Center, Engineering Building, Room 1116, (912) 478-0649