Degree Requirements: 126 Credit Hours
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
|Area A1 - Communication Skills|
|Select 6 credit hours from Area A1 of the Core Curriculum||6|
|Area A2 - Quantitative Skills|
|MATH 1112||College Trigonometry||3|
|or MATH 1113||Pre-Calculus|
|Area B - Global Engagement|
|Select 4 credit hours from Area B of the Core Curriculum||4|
|Area C - Humanities, Fine Arts, and Ethics|
|Select 6 credit hours from Area C of the Core Curriculum||6|
|Area D - Natural Sciences, Mathematics, and Technology|
|Select 11 credit hours from Area D of the Core Curriculum||11|
|Area E - Social Sciences|
|Select 12 credit hours from Area E of the Core Curriculum||12|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major|
|Students must complete CHEM 1145, CHEM 1146, GEOL 1121, and GEOL 1122 if not taken in Area D|
|CHEM 1145||Principles of Chemistry I||4|
|CHEM 1146||Principles of Chemistry II||4|
|GEOL 1121||Introduction to the Earth||4|
|GEOL 1122||General Historical Geology||4|
|Carryover from Area D||1|
|Select from the following:||1|
and General Biology Laboratory
|Introduction to Physics I|
|Introduction to Physics II|
|Introduction to Statistics I|
|Health and Physical Education Activities|
|HLTH 1520||Healthful Living||2|
|Physical Education Activities||2|
|FYE 1220||First-Year Seminar||2|
|GEOL 3542||Petrology and Petrography||4|
|GEOL 5142||Stratigraphy and Sedimentation||4|
|GEOL 5440||Structural Geology||4|
|Geology Electives - (3000 level and above)||9|
|Select 14-20 credit hours of Electives||14-20|
|Foreign Language (2002 Level)|
|Select 0-6 credit hours of Foreign Language||0-6|
|Minor: Must be approved by advisor|
|Select 15 credit hours of Minor||15|
|Total Credit Hours||126|
- Geology majors must maintain an overall 2.0 GPA across all Geology coursework (any course with GEOL prefix).
Honors in Geology
Students majoring in Geology (BS or BA) may pursue an Honors in Geology program. Students are required to have a minimum GPA of 3.2 after 45 credit hours of coursework and approval of Geology and Geography faculty to commence the Honors program.
To graduate with Honors in Geology, a student must:
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.5 in the major and a 3.2 in a minor.
- Complete a senior thesis (BA or BS degree) with a minimum grade of “B” in Senior Thesis Research II (GEOL 4831). The thesis will be supervised by a Geology/Geography faculty member.
- Complete Introduction to Research (GEOL 4120), Senior Thesis Research I (GEOL 4830), and Senior Thesis Research II (GEOL 4831) (3 semester research sequence) for a total of 8 credit hours. A minimum grade of “B” is required in Introduction to Research (GEOL 4120) to continue the research sequence.
- Present a departmental seminar on the thesis research.
COSM Advisement Center
Engineering Building, Room 1116