Leadership & Community Engagement
Come visit the Office of Leadership & Community Engagement in Russell Union Suite 1056, visit our website at http://www.georgiasouthern.edu/LeadServe, call us at (912) 478-1435, or contact us via email at email@example.com.
The Office of Leadership & Community Engagement serves to advance the leadership potential and community engagement of Georgia Southern students. Our mission, guided by the principles of transformational leadership, is to integrate learning, service, and leadership to empower students to lead positive change. The Office also provides students with information and resources about the many opportunities available to invest their lives in the community. Volunteering is a powerful way for students to gain hands-on professional level experience while addressing existing social issues and community needs.
Some of the programs provided by the Office include:
- Southern Leaders Program - A comprehensive, four phase leadership development experience built on a model of Transformational Leadership and focusing on self, collaborative/team, and change leadership. Integrating the core concepts of service and leadership, the program features a leadership mentoring or internship experience and culminates with a leadership legacy project. Upon completion of all program requirements, participants will receive the prestigious Southern Leaders Graduate medallion and the Leadership and Service seal.
- Community Liaisons Program - A community engagement and service-learning program in which student leaders are placed in community agencies to help recruit and manage university volunteers and to assist with other needs of the agencies. Community Liaisons serve to strengthen partnerships between Georgia Southern and the local community.
- Service-Learning Student Facilitators - Students in this program learn the theory and practical skills of service-learning to work as peer educators with faculty to create and manage service-learning experiences within academic courses.
- SOLD Workshop Series - The Office partners with the Office of Student Activities to coordinate a weekly leadership workshop series for students who have an interest in developing their leadership competencies.
- Southern Collegiate Leadership Conference - The annual Southern Collegiate Leadership Conference is designed for both students in leadership positions and students looking to advance their leadership skills.
- LEAD 2031: Principles of Leadership - This three credit hour academic course is an opportunity for students to gain a foundation in leadership studies while building leadership skills to enhance success in both personal and professional life.
- Alternative Break Trips - Offered in December, March, and May, these low-cost trips offer students the opportunity to spend their breaks investing their lives in service to others.