Requirements for Summer 2017, Fall 2017, Spring 2018
Students being evaluated as a beginning freshman must present credits for seventeen (17) specified USG courses:
- Mathematics: Four (4) units of Mathematics, including algebra I, algebra II, geometry, and a fourth year of advanced Mathematics or Mathematics I, II, III, and a fourth unit of advanced Mathematics. Georgia Southern does not accept Mathematics Support or Mathematics of Finance.
- English: Four (4) units of English which have as their emphasis grammar and usage, literature (American, English, World), and advanced composition skills.
- Science: Four (4) units of science where two of the courses include a laboratory component. Georgia public high school graduates must have at least one (1) unit of biology, one (1) unit of physical science or physics, and one (1) unit of chemistry, earth systems, environmental science, or an advanced placement science course.
- Social Science: Three (3) units of social science, with at least one (1) course focusing on United States studies and one (1) course focusing on world studies.
- Foreign Language: Two (2) units in the same foreign language emphasizing speaking, listening, reading, and writing. Two (2) units of American Sign Language or certain Computer Sciences may be used to satisfy this requirement.
An applicant will be considered for admission upon compliance with the following requirements and conditions1:
- Graduation from an approved secondary school;
- Satisfactory completion of the Required High School Curriculum, which should include the following units as defined above:
Beginning Freshmen 4 Mathematics 4 English 4 Science 3 Social Science 2 Foreign Language
- Submission of satisfactory scores on the College Board Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) - minimum 1090 SAT total (Evidence-Based Reading & Writing + Math on redesigned exam) - or American College Test (ACT) with a 21 composite;
- U.S. citizens or resident aliens for whom English is not the native language may be required to take the English Language Placement Exam upon arrival. Resident aliens must submit a copy of their green card;
- Submission of an official high school transcript and a record of good conduct. Major or continued difficulty with the school or civil authorities may make an applicant ineligible regardless of academic qualifications.
Georgia Southern University offers the summer Eagle Incentive Program, for students to demonstrate their ability to succeed at college-level work. Students who participate can enroll regularly for Fall 2017. Refer to GeorgiaSouthern.edu/eip for additional information.
Applicants are usually admitted prior to high school graduation, once they have completed their junior year of high school and have submitted an official high school transcript. The transcript should include a satisfactory grade point average and a full listing of senior year courses yet to be completed. Satisfactory SAT or ACT scores must be requested from the testing agency and sent directly to the Office of Admissions by that testing agency.
An individual seeking admission as a special student not pursuing a degree program must submit a statement as to the type of studies to be pursued and the reason for selecting a special program. The individual must also submit documents and satisfactory scores on such ability or achievement tests as may be prescribed by the Director of Admissions.
Please note: Students applying to the Georgia Southern nursing program must meet general admission requirements, as well as meet specific nursing program requirements. An additional application to the nursing program is required. Admission to Georgia Southern University does not guarantee acceptance into the nursing program.
(GED holders - See Mature Student criteria)
All requirements are subject to change. Please contact the Office of Admissions at (912) 478-5391 or at http://admissions.georgiasouthern.edu/ for current admission requirements.