Required High School Curriculum
Requirements for Summer 2017, Fall 2017, Spring 2018
The following high school courses are required of students who plan to enroll in regular college programs leading to the baccalaureate degree in institutions of the University System of Georgia:
- Mathematics: Four (4) units of Mathematics, including algebra I, algebra II, geometry, and a fourth year of advanced Mathematics or Mathematics I, II, III, and a fourth unit of advanced Mathematics. Georgia Southern does not accept Mathematics Support or Mathematics of Finance.
- English: Four (4) units of English which have as their emphasis grammar and usage, literature (American, English, World), and advanced composition skills.
- Science: Four (4) units of science where two of the courses include a laboratory component. Georgia public high school graduates must have at least one (1) unit of biology, one (1) unit of physical science or physics, and one (1) unit of chemistry, earth systems, environmental science, or an advanced placement science course.
- Social Science: Three (3) units of social science, with at least one (1) course focusing on United States studies and one (1) course focusing on world studies.
- Foreign Language: Two (2) units in the same foreign language emphasizing speaking, listening, reading, and writing. Two (2) units of American Sign Language or certain Computer Sciences may be used to satisfy this requirement.
The Board of Regents provides a listing of specific qualifying college preparatory and academic courses in the Student Affairs Handbook, Section 3.2.3. It is available online in the USG Academic Affairs Handbook. The Office of Student Affairs for the University System of Georgia maintains a complete list of courses that can be used to satisfy the RHSC requirements in the Staying on Course document that can also be found online in the USG Academic Affairs Handbook.
Students who have completed the Required High School Curriculum and who meet all other admission requirements will be considered for admission to Georgia Southern University as regularly admitted students.