Certificate in Public History
Requirements: 18 Credit Hours
Students who wish to obtain the Certificate in Public History need not be enrolled in the M.A. in History program but must still apply and be admitted to the College of Graduate Studies.
Applicants seeking admission to the Certificate in Public History must have:
- Completed requirements for the Bachelor’s degree in a college accredited by the proper regional accrediting associations.
- A 3.0 (4.0 scale) cumulative grade point average or higher on all undergraduate work, with a 3.0 cumulative GPA in history and no grade in history lower than a “C”.
- An undergraduate major or the equivalent in history. Students with majors in other fields of study are given equal consideration for admission providing they either have
- three years of history-related professional work experience OR
- at least 15 credits (or quarter-system equivalent) of history (at least 12 credits at the upper division level and a total of 30 credits in the social sciences and humanities).
- Two letters of recommendation by individuals who are familiar with the applicant’s potential for successful graduate study.
- A statement of purpose (approximately 250 words) outlining the applicant’s interest in graduate study in public history.
Non-traditional students and applicants not meeting the above requirements may be considered for Provisional (Probationary) admission as determined on a case-by-case basis.
Program of Study
|HIST 7638||Research Prospectus||3|
|HIST 7651||Graduate Seminar in Public History||3|
|HIST 7781||Professional Internship in Public History 1||3|
|HIST 7900||Non-Thesis Project in Public History 2||3|
|Electives in Public History 3||6|
|Total Credit Hours||18|
Internships are 150 hours.
In this course, students must complete a 6,000 - 10,000 word technical report that must be approved by a three-person faculty committee and orally defended.
Public History elective courses at the 5000-level or above.
Other Program Requirements
- Students enrolled in the M.A. in History program must complete the requirements for either the Thesis or Non-Thesis option as listed on the M.A. in History program pages.
Georgia Southern University
Department of History
P.O. Box 8054
Statesboro, GA 30460-8054