Elementary Education (Grades P-5) M.Ed. (Online)
Degree Requirements: 36 Credit Hours
Certificate Upgrade Information: An educator who holds a level four Georgia certificate in Elementary Education will qualify for a level five certificate upgrade upon successful completion of all program requirements. (See catalog section on Certification).
- Complete requirements for a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Possess or be eligible for a Georgia level four certificate in Elementary Childhood Education, or possess or be eligible for a Georgia Certificate of Eligibility for an Induction Certificate in Elementary Childhood Education. Candidates who have completed all requirements for the Georgia Certificate of Eligibility have until the end of the first semester to obtain the certificate.
- Present a cumulative 2.50 (4.0 scale) grade point average or higher on all undergraduate and graduate work combined.
- Submit a personal statement of purpose, not to exceed 500 words, that identifies the applicant’s reasons for pursuing graduate study and how admission into the program relates to the applicant’s professional aspirations.
- Submit a completed “Disclosure and Affirmation Form” that addresses misconduct disclosure, criminal background check, the Code of Ethics for Educators, and tort liability insurance.
Applicants may be approved for provisional admission based on the quality of the admission material presented. Provisional students must earn grades of “B” or higher in their first nine (9) credits of course work after admission and meet any other stipulations outlined by the department to be converted to regular status.
|Professional Education Core Requirements|
|ITEC 8231||Transforming Learning with Technology||3|
|EDUF 7150||Learning Theories and Assessment||3|
|EDUR 7140||Action Research in Elementary Settings||3|
|Specialized Content for Teaching|
|(Professional Education Prerequisites)|
|ELEM 7230||Advanced Language Arts Methods||3|
|ELEM 7330||Advanced Mathematics Methods||3|
|ELEM 7430||Advanced Science Methods||3|
|ELEM 7530||Advanced Social Studies Methods||3|
|ELEM 7234||Teaching Communication Across Cultures||3|
|ELEM 7233||Teaching Writing in the Elementary School||3|
|Electives toward endorsement or certificate (Complete the 9 hours to earn one of the listed endorsements or complete 9 hours toward the Curriculum & Pedagogy for Social Justice Certificate) 1||9|
|Total Credit Hours||36|
Other Program Requirements
- Successfully complete assessments identified at each program transition point.
- Maintain an active account with the COE electronic data management system.
- Claim Georgia Southern University as your program provider in your MyPSC Account during your first term of enrollment (see information under MyPSC Account in Graduate Catalog, College of Education).
Graduate Academic Services Center (GASC)
P.O. Box 8083
Statesboro, GA 30460
Fax: (912) 478-5093