Teaching Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students M.Ed.
Degree Requirements: 36 Credit Hours
Certificate Upgrade Information: An educator who holds a level four Georgia teaching certificate in ESOL will qualify for a level five certificate upgrade upon successful completion of all program requirements. (See catalog section on Certification).
- Complete requirements for a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Possess or be eligible for a Professional Level Four Certificate in the state of Georgia or its equivalent in other states. OR Possess or be eligible for a Standard Professional Administrative Certificate or its equivalent in other states.
- Present a cumulative 2.50 (4.0 scale) grade point average or higher on all undergraduate and graduate work combined.
- Submit a personal statement of purpose, not to exceed 200 words, that identifies the applicant’s reasons for pursuing graduate study and how admission into the program relates to the applicant’s professional aspirations.
- Successfully complete TCLD 4231 or TCLD 6231 Cultural Diversity & ESOL/TCLD or its equivalent.
- Submit a completed “Disclosure and Affirmation Form” that addresses misconduct disclosure, criminal background check, the Code of Ethics for Educators, and tort liability
Applicants may be approved for provisional admission based on the quality of the admission material presented. Provisional degree candidates must earn grades of “B” or higher in their first nine (9) hours of course work after admission and meet any other stipulations outlined by the department to be converted to regular status.
|Prerequisite for Admission|
|Cultural Diversity and ESOL/TCLD|
|Certificate in TCLD Requirements||15|
|Understanding Diverse Students through Case Study 3|
|Multicultural Education 3|
|Regional Issues In Multicultural Education 3|
|Applied Linguistics for ESOL/TCLD|
|Methods for Teaching ESOL/TCLD|
|Professional Education Core Requirements||6|
|Learning Theories and Applications|
|M.Ed. in TCLD Specific Requirements||15|
|Teaching Literacy with English Learners 4|
or READ 8530
|Critical Issues in Literacy Education with Diverse Populations|
|Language Policy and Politics in Education|
|Globalization, Immigration, and Teaching ELLs|
|Special Education-ELL Interface & Assessment|
|Advanced ELL & Bilingual Teaching Methods|
|Total Credit Hours||36|
These courses are part of the GSU ESOL Endorsement.
These courses are part of the GSU TCLD Graduate certificate.
TCLD 8538 requires the following as prerequisites: TCLD 4231/TCLD 6231, TCLD 6233, TCLD 6235, EDUF 7230, EDUF 7235, EDUF 8233, EDUF 7130, EDUR 7130, TCLD 7334, TCLD 7336.
Other Program Requirement
Successfully complete assessments identified at each program transition point.
Department of Middle Grades and Secondary Education
Dr. Alisa Leckie
Statesboro, GA 30460
Phone: (912) 478-5236
Fax: (912) 478-0026