Grade Requirements

Graded Work

For graduate credit hour, the grade in a course must be a minimum grade of “C.” To be awarded a graduate degree, the student:

  1. must not be on probation;
  2. must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on all graduate course work attempted and on course work on the program of study;
  3. must meet all the requirements of the College of Graduate Studies, the student’s academic program area, and the student’s supervisory committee; and
  4. must be enrolled during the semester in which the degree requirements are completed if completing a thesis.

A student may not repeat any course for credit hour for which he/she has already received a minimum grade of “C” unless specifically permitted by the degree program department policy.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Graded Work

Certain courses including thesis and internship credit hour may be graded on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U) basis. A grade of “S” indicates that credit hour has been given for completion of the credit hour and the credit hour may count toward degree requirements. A grade of “U” indicates unsatisfactory progress in the course and credit hour may not be counted toward degree requirements. Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory graded work is not computed in the grade point average.

In-Progress (IP) Grade

“IP” indicates that credit has not been given in courses that require an “IP” continuation of work beyond the semester for which the student signed up for the course. The use of these symbols is approved for dissertation and thesis credit and project courses. With the exception of Learning Support courses, these symbols cannot be used for other courses. These symbols cannot be substituted for an “I”.

Incomplete Policy

An incomplete grade (“I”) indicates that the student was doing satisfactory work but was unable to meet the full requirements of the course due to non-academic reasons. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the instructor to complete the remaining requirements of the course. The instructor is responsible for keeping a record of all "I" grades assigned and the justification as to why the professor assigned the student the "I" grade. An “I” should be removed during the following semester, but the instructor may allow the student up to one calendar year to remove the incomplete. The student must complete the requirements of the instructor who assigned the incomplete and should not re-register for the course. If the “I” is not satisfactorily removed by the end of the third semester (one calendar year), it will be changed to an “F” by the Office of the Registrar.