Public Administration M.P.A.
Degree Requirements: 39 Credit Hours
A student must have the following items in his or her portfolio:
- Completed requirements for the Bachelor’s degree in a college accredited by proper regional accrediting association.
- A 2.75 (4.0 scale) cumulative grade point average in undergraduate work.
- Applicants with an undergraduate GPA of less than 3.0 must submit official scores on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). Applicants with an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 are not required to submit exam scores.
- A current resume detailing relevant work experience.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation from persons familiar with the applicant’s academic or employment experience.
- Statement of career goals and objectives.
- OR Completion of the Certificate in Public and Nonprofit Management with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 (4.0 scale).
In the following circumstances, applicants who do not meet the above criteria may be admitted:
- Provisional admission will be considered for applicants who do not meet one or more of the academic requirements listed above if strong evidence of ability to perform well in graduate work is provided through reference to work experience or other means.
In cases of incomplete admission applications, an applicant must have an undergraduate GPA of 2.75 and will be restricted to a maximum of three courses without gaining provisional or regular admission status.
Program of Study
The graduate student and the MPA Program Director shall jointly develop a Program of Study that includes 21 credits of core courses, twelve (12) credits of concentration courses, three (3) credits of internship (depending on whether student is pre-service or in-service), and a three (3) credit capstone course.
|PBAD 7130||Ethics for Public Service Organizations||3|
|PBAD 7134||Advanced Management||3|
|PBAD 7230||Budgeting in Public Service Organizations||3|
|PBAD 7430||Public Human Resource Management||3|
|PBAD 7530||Research Methods For Public Service Organizations||3|
|PBAD 7531||Public Program Evaluation||3|
|PBAD 7631||Foundations of Public Administration||3|
|Students complete 12-credit hours in one of the following emphases:||12|
|PBAD 7730||Internship in Public Administration||3|
|Other Program Requirements|
|PBAD 7638||Capstone Seminar||3|
|Total Credit Hours||39|
Students who are not professionally employed in the public or nonprofit sector while a student in the MPA program will be required to complete an internship in a public agency or nonprofit organization before completing the program. Students must have completed at least 15 credits and have a GPA in the MPA program of at least 3.0 before enrolling for credit in the internship.
College of Behavioral and Social Sciences
Department of Public and Nonprofit Studies
Graduate Program Director
Georgia Southern University
P.O. Box 8048
Statesboro, GA 30460
phone (912) 478-1400
fax (912) 478-8029