Educational Leadership M.Ed.(Online)
Degree Requirements: 36 Credit Hours
Completion of all program requirements leads to an M.Ed. as approved by Georgia Southern University, as well as a Teacher Leadership Endorsement and Educational Leadership Tier 1 certification as approved by the GaPSC.
- Complete requirements for a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Possess a Professional Level Four Certificate or higher in a teacher, service, or leadership field.
- Present a cumulative 2.75 (4.0 scale) grade point average or higher on all undergraduate and graduate work combined.
- Submit a personal statement of purpose, not to exceed 200 words, that identifies the applicant’s reasons for pursuing graduate study and how admission into the program relates to the applicant’s professional aspirations.
- Submit a completed “Disclosure and Affirmation Form” that addresses misconduct disclosure, criminal background check, the Code of Ethics for Educators, and tort liability insurance.
- Submit school/district leader assurance form.
- Candidate's Local Unit of Administration (LUA) is required to have entered into an agreement with Georgia Southern University that outlines the agreements related to Tier I Leadership preparation. Said agreement must state that the LUA and school agree to allow candidates to complete 250 hours of clinical practice (Supervised Field Experience) and to provide supporting documents, as well as access to opportunities to lead and participate in leadership opportunities as appropriate for completion of leadership performances. Additional requirements are listed below; additionally, candidates must comply with any rule changes and/or additions instituted by the GaPSC affecting Educational Leadership certification.
- All candidates admitted to any GaPSC-approved Educational Leadership program must have completed (do not have to pass) the Georgia Ethics for Educational Leadership Assessment-Program Entry (Test 370) prior to becoming enrolled.
Other Program Requirements
- Passing scores on the Georgia Assessments for the Certification of Educators® (GACE®), Test #301. Georgia's state approved educator certification assessment program, prior to program completion.
- All candidates completing any GaPSC-approved Educational Leadership program on or after July 1, 2016, must pass the Georgia Ethics for Educational Leadership-Program Exit (Test 380) prior to completion and must pass the assessment to earn certification in the field of Educational Leadership.
- Candidates must claim Georgia Southern University as their provider. Candidates must log into their MyPSC account (https://mypsc.gapsc.org/Home.aspx.) and claim Georgia Southern University as their provider.
- All candidates admitted to any GaPSC approved Educational Leadership program must have passed the Georgia Ethics for Educational Leadership Assessment Program Entry (Test 370) prior to completion and must pass the assessment to earn certification in the field of Educational Leadership.
**It is important to note that admission to and completion of Tier 1 does not ensure employment in a leadership position. Under state law, completion of an approved Tier 1 program will not lead to additional pay until employed by a Local Unit of Administration (LUA) in a leadership position that requires Tier 1 certification. **
Applicants may be approved for provisional admission based on the quality of the admission material presented. Provisional students must earn grades of “B” or higher in their first nine (9) credits of course work after admission and meet any other stipulations outlined by the department to be converted to regular status.
Concentration: Educational Leadership
36 Credit Hours
|Leadership Professional Core Requirements|
|EDLD 7531||Legal and Ethical Issues in School Leadership||3|
|EDLD 7532||Managing Human Capital||3|
|EDLD 7539||Finance for Educational Leaders||3|
|EDLD 7540||Politics of P-12 Public Education||3|
|EDLD 7737||Supervised Field Experience I||3|
|EDLD 7738||Supervised Field Experience II||3|
|EDLD 7739||Supervised Field Experience III||3|
|Teacher Leadership Endorsement Core Requirements|
|EDLD 7530||Transformational School Leadership||3|
|EDLD 7535||Utilizing Data in Leadership||3|
|EDLD 7536||Developing Professional Learning Communities||3|
|Professional Education Core Requirements|
|EDUF 7140||Learning, Cognition, and Curriculum||3|
|EDUR 7130||Educational Research||3|
|Total Credit Hours||36|