Secondary Education (Grades 6-12) M.Ed. (Online)
Degree Requirements: 36 Credit Hours
Candidates must select a concentration in their area of certification:
- Biology Education
- Broad Fields Science Education
- Business Education
- Chemistry Education
- Economics Education
- English Education
- Geography Education
- History Education
- Mathematics Education
- Physics Education
- Political Science Education
Certificate Upgrade Information: An educator who holds a level four Georgia certificate in Secondary Education will qualify for a level five certificate upgrade upon successful completion of all program requirements. (See catalog section on Certification.)
- Complete requirements for a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Possess a Georgia Induction or Professional Certificate or the equivalent, or possess or be eligible for a Georgia Certificate of Eligibility for an Induction Certificate. The certificate must be in one of the following certification areas: biology, broad fields science, business, chemistry, economics, English, geography, history, mathematics, physics, or political science. Candidates who have completed all requirements for the Georgia Certificate of Eligibility have until the end of the first semester to obtain the certificate.
- Present a cumulative 2.50 (4.0 scale) grade point average or higher on all undergraduate and graduate work combined.
- Submit a personal statement of purpose, not to exceed 200 words, that identifies the applicant’s reasons for pursuing graduate study and how admission into the program relates to the applicant’s professional aspirations.
- Submit a completed “Disclosure and Affirmation Form” that addresses misconduct disclosure, criminal background check, the Code of Ethics for Educators, and tort liability insurance.
Applicants may be approved for provisional admission based on the quality of the admission material presented. Provisional students must earn grades of “B” or higher in their first nine (9) credits of course work after admission and meet any other stipulations outlined by the department to be converted to regular status.
|Professional Education Core Requirements||9|
|Learning Theories and Applications|
|Foundations of Technology-Enabled Learning|
|Trends in the Content Areas|
|Readings and Research in the Content Areas|
|Plus the advanced pedagogy course in one's area of certification:|
|Early Adolescent Literature|
|Teaching Business Education in the Secondary Schools|
|Teaching Middle Grades and Secondary Mathematics|
|Trends in Middle and Secondary Science|
|Trends in Middle and Secondary Social Studies|
|Enhancing Student Performance|
|MED Seminar in Middle Grades and Secondary Education 1|
|Classroom Assessment and Data Literacy|
|Electives towards endorsement or certificate (Complete 9 hours to earn one of the listed endorsements or toward the certificate below) 2||9|
|Total Credit Hours||36|
This is the capstone course for the program. It must be taken in the final spring semester of the course of study. Educational Research (EDUR 7130) is a pre-requisite for this course.
Recommended electives would include courses that lead to specific endorsements:
Endorsements or Certificate Electives:
Online Teaching and Learning Endorsement: Theories and Models of Instructional Design (ITEC 8134), Pedagogy of Online Learning (ITEC 8135), and Field Experience in Online Teaching and Learning (ITEC 8136)
Curriculum and Pedagogy for Social Justice Certificate: Foundations for Social Justice Education (EDUF 8631), Multicultural Education (EDUF 7235), Curriculum Design and Evaluation (EDUC 8230), Curriculum and Pedagogy for Social Justice (EDUC 8632), Social Justice Inquiry (EDUC 8633), and either Critical Readings in Reading/Literacy Education (READ 8630) or Understanding Diverse Students through Case Study (EDUF 7230)
Other Program Requirements
- Successfully complete assessments identified at each program transition point.
- Maintain an active account with the COE electronic data management system.
- Claim Georgia Southern University as your program provider in your MyPSC Account during your first term of enrollment (see information under MyPSC Account in Graduate Catalog, College of Education).
Graduate Academic Services Center (GASC)
P.O. Box 8083
Statesboro, GA 30460
Fax: (912) 478-5093