Additional Programs and Services
Office of International Programs and Services
Director: Dr. Dorothée Mertz-Weigel
Forest Drive Bldg. 1313
P.O. Box 8106
Gamble Hall 110
The Office of International Programs & Services (OIPS) is responsible for the strategic execution of Georgia Southern’s internationalization process and provides oversight for the international activities of the campus. The OIPS aims to create a global awareness on campus and within the community. To prepare students with the global knowledge, attitudes and skills that will enable them to function as citizens of the world. We aim to infuse a global dimension throughout the University’s teaching, research, and service activities, and improve the breadth and depth of Georgia Southern’s global reach and engagement. These aspirations are achieved by managing international strategic partnerships; providing study abroad & exchange programming for students; offering professional development and service activities for faculty; maintaining high-quality, federally compliant international student and scholar services; and hosting programs and events to promote international awareness and an appreciation of global cultures. This infusion of internationalized educational activities extends beyond the scope of the University to support global learning, business, and economic development in Southeast Georgia.
Study Abroad and Exchange Programs
Studying abroad provides students with a trans-cultural experience that has many major benefits: discovering the culture and institutions of other lands, facilitating the development of relevant career skills, making important connections with overseas professionals, and enhancing language skills. In addition, studying abroad contributes to personal maturity, a sense of independence, self-knowledge, and self-confidence. Semester, and year-long exchange, summer, language immersion, and alternative break programs are available. All disciplines are eligible to participate, and programs are offered in more than 30 locations world- wide. For more information, visit www.georgiasouthern.edu/studyabroad or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Student and Scholar Services
There are nearly 500 international students and scholars in F-1 (student) and J-1 (exchange visitor) visa status from about 90 countries at the university. The Office of International Programs & Services helps international students acclimate to their new environment at Georgia Southern, provides support services, processes visa-related documents, educates students and scholars on the visa laws to help them maintain their status with U.S. Homeland Security, and maintains the university’s compliance with the visa laws. Services provided include: orientation (including academic advisement and registration), English proficiency testing/placement, assistance with health insurance coverage, and visa and cultural advisement.
Intercultural Educational Programs
The OIPS plans and coordinates programs which foster international understanding and cultural exchange, both on our campuses and within our surrounding communities. Some of the programs offered are: the Global Partner Zone program, yearly symposiums on different countries, weekly International Conversation Hours, the International Club, International Education Week, the International Festival, the Global Ambassadors Program, the Cross-Cultural Friendships Program, and the International Extended Families Program. Participation in these programs and events are open to both international and U.S. students, as well as the local community.
Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE)
The Center for Teaching and Technology (CTE), which is located in the Henderson Library, offers Graduate Teaching Enhancement Programs that are designed to help Georgia Southern graduate Teaching Assistants (TAs) develop and refine their teaching skills. All graduate TA2s involved in face-to-face instruction must have completed training, which consists of centralized training offered by the Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE) or decentralized training within the academic program. Decentralized training must have prior approval from the College of Graduate Studies, CTE, and the Office of the Provost. TA2s may also be required to participate in additional in-service training within their College or Department, as determined by their program. Centralized TA2 training in CTE consists of the Orientation to Teaching portion of the program, consisting of three 3-hour seminars conducted prior to the beginning of each semester.
In addition to the basic orientation, two different university teaching certification programs are offered to interested participants. All programs are coordinated by the Center for Teaching and Technology, with administrative support from the College of Graduate Studies. All TAs are further invited to individually consult with CTE staff regarding their teaching related questions.
For more information about programs and services please contact:
Cone Hall, 2nd Floor
Phone: (912) 478-0049
Fax: (912) 478-0099
Solms Hall, Suite 211
Phone: (912) 344-3607
Phone: (912) 478-0049 or (912) 344-3607
Georgia Southern University Online Degrees
Center for Online Learning
Georgia Southern University offers the following online degree programs:
- Accounting WebM.Acc. (The Web-Based Master of Accounting)
- Applied Economics M.S.
- Business Administration M.B.A. (The Georgia WebMBA)
- Communication Sciences and Disorders M.S.
- Criminal Justice and Criminology M.S. (Emphasis in Criminal Justice)
- Criminal Justice and Criminology M.S. (Emphasis in Cybercrime)
- Curriculum and Instruction - Accomplished Teaching M.Ed. (Online)
- Educational Leadership M.Ed.(Online)
- Elementary Education (Grades P-5) M.Ed. (Online)
- Evaluation, Assessment, Research, and Learning M.Ed. (Online)
- Instructional Technology M.Ed. (Georgia ONmyLINE)
- Kinesiology M.S. (Concentration in Coaching) (Online)
- Kinesiology M.S. (Concentration in Physical Education) (Online)
- Middle Grades Education (Grades 4-8) M.Ed. (Online)
- Nursing M.S.N. (Online)
- Reading Education M.Ed. (Online)
- Secondary Education (Grades 6-12) M.Ed. (Online)
- Special Education (Grades P-12) M.Ed. (Online)
- Sport Management M.S. (Online)
- Teaching Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students M.Ed.
- Teaching M.A.T. (Concentration in Elementary Education P-5) (Hybrid)
- Teaching M.A.T. (Concentration in Elementary Education P-5) (Online)
- Teaching M.A.T. (Concentration in Special Education P-12) (Hybrid)
- Teaching M.A.T. (Concentration in Special Education P-12) (Online)
Graduate Endorsement Programs
Graduate Certificate Programs
- Adult/Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Post-MSN Certificate
- Adult/Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Post-MSN Certificate
- Applied Economics Certificate (Online)
- Applied Research and Evaluation Certificate Program (Online)
- Certificate in Public and Nonprofit Management
- Certificate in Public Health
- Clinical Specialist in Advanced Imaging Certificate
- Cybercrime Post-Baccalaureate Certificate
- Educational Leadership Tier I Certificate Program (Online)
- Educational Leadership Tier II Certificate Program (Online)
- Enterprise Resources Planning (ERP) Certificate Program (Online)
- Family Nurse Practitioner Post-MSN Certificate
- Instructional Technology Certificate Program (Online)
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Post-MSN Certificate
- School Library Media Certificate Program (Online)
- Strength and Conditioning Graduate Certificate
- Teaching Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students Certificate (Online)
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)/Applied Linguistics Certificate (Online)
Online Course Support Services
Center for Online Learning (COL)
The COL provides technical and pedagogical training and support for faculty who develop online courses. For more information, call (912) 478-0049 or visit the COL website at: http://academics.georgiasouthern.edu/col/.
Center for Academic Technology Support (CATS)
CATS provides technical problem support for online courses for students and faculty. For more information call (912) 478-2287 or visit the CATS website at:http://academics.georgiasouthern.edu/cats/.
Online Programs at Georgia Southern University
For more information about online program at Georgia Southern University, please see the following website: http://academics.georgiasouthern.edu/online/.