Applied Physical Science M.S.A.P.S. (Non-Thesis)
Degree Requirements: 36 Credit Hours (Non-Thesis)
Students are selected for the Master of Science in Applied Physical Science degree program on a competitive basis. Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
- B.S. or B.A. degree in chemistry, physics, or related degree from an appropriate regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent degree from a recognized foreign college or university. Official TOEFL scores (not more than two years old) required for international students.
- An overall minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale or at the discretion of the graduate admission committee.
- Official GRE Report showing competitive subtest scores by the start of the first semester of graduate courses.
- Two Letters of Recommendation from individuals familiar with the applicant's potential to complete successful graduate work.
- Applicant’s Statement of Purpose & Research Experience, which must address
- the student's preparation and research experiences for graduate study,
- the student’s goals for the graduate program, potential concentration area, and possible advisor (for thesis option), and
- the student’s professional goals following completion of the M.S.A.P.S. program
- The applicant must have the appropriate undergraduate preparation for the area of concentration. This requires meeting the general M.S.A.P.S. requirements and the prerequisites listed for the particular concentration area.
Applicants who do not meet the admission requirements may be admitted provisionally. To be converted to regular status, provisional students must take any appropriate undergraduate courses as recommended by the graduate committee and must earn a “B” or higher in their first nine (9) credits of coursework approved by the graduate director.
Non-degree students are accepted on an individual basis as space is available. Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale and submit a Statement of Purpose and Research Experience.
Students are required to maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 to remain in good academic standing and to be eligible to graduate. In the event the cumulative GPA falls below 3.0, the student will be placed on academic probation. Students have nine (9) credits to elevate the cumulative GPA to at least 3.0 or will be excluded from the program. Students earning grades of "F" will also be excluded from the program.
A maximum of twelve (12) credits at the 5000 level are allowed for the Master of Science in Applied Physical Science degree.
Non-Thesis Option, 36 Credit Hours
The graduate student and the program director shall jointly develop a program of study that includes 36 credits in graduate coursework including the required courses below.
|Professional Science Communication|
|Scientific Inquiry and Ethics|
or PHYS 7630
or STAT 5531G
|Statistical Methods I|
|Select two of the courses below|
|Principles of Drug Design|
|Solid State Materials|
|Principles and Practice of Pre-clinical Drug Development|
|Elective courses at 5000G level or above with no more than 6 credit hours at the the 5000G level|
|Total Credit Hours||36|
College of Science and Mathematics
Department of Chemistry and Department of Physics
Dr. Michele McGibony
Georgia Southern University
P.O. Box 8064
Statesboro, GA 30460
Program of Study Website:cosm.georgiasouthern.edu/degrees-programs/graduate/msaps