Leadership & Community Engagement
Come visit the Office of Leadership & Community Engagement on the Statesboro Campus in Russell Union Suite 1056 or call us at (912) 478-1435. Students can find us on the Armstrong Campus in the Memorial College Center Room 207 or call us at (912) 344-2652. You can also visit our website at http://www.georgiasouthern.edu/LeadServe, or contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Office of Leadership & Community Engagement serves to advance the leadership potential and community engagement of Georgia Southern students. We utilize an integrated theoretical approach to learning, service, and leadership that empowers students to become active, global citizens who lead positive change. The Office also provides students with information and resources about the many opportunities available to invest their lives in the community. Volunteering is a powerful way for students to gain hands-on professional level experience while addressing existing social issues and community needs.
Some of the opportunities provided by the Office include:
- Southern Leaders Program - A nationally award winning, comprehensive leadership development program focused on personal leadership development, team building, community engagement, and creating positive change. Southern Leaders learn how to make a difference in their community through interactive leadership lessons, community service, challenging team projects, and unique leadership experiences. Upon completion of all program requirements, participants receive the prestigious Southern Leaders Graduate medallion and seal.
- Serve912 - Our local service initiative. We engage with the community year-round through regularly scheduled volunteer trips, ongoing community service activities, and meeting local needs as part of the Director’s Immediate Response Team (DIRT).
- Community Liaisons Program - A community engagement and service-learning program in which student leaders are placed in community agencies to help recruit and manage university volunteers and to assist with other needs of the agencies. Community Liaisons serve to strengthen partnerships between Georgia Southern and the local community.
- Service-Learning Student Facilitators - Students in this program learn the theory and practical skills of service-learning to work as peer educators with faculty to create and manage service-learning experiences within academic courses.
- Southern Collegiate Leadership Conference - This annual leadership conference hosts students from across the southeast who seek to advance their leadership skills. Students in leadership positions as well as those looking for opportunities to further develop their leadership practice are encouraged to attend.
- Alternative Break Trips - Offered in December, March, and May, these low-cost trips offer students the opportunity to spend their breaks investing their lives in service to others.
- Nick Mamalakis Emerging Leaders Program - An interactive leadership development program for Armstrong campus students.
- Treasure Savannah - A day of service for students in the local Savannah community.