Required High School Curriculum
The following required high school curriculum (RHSC) is required of students who plan to enroll in regular college programs leading to the baccalaureate degree in institutions of the University System of Georgia:
- Mathematics: Four units of mathematics to include:
- One unit of Coordinate Algebra or Algebra I or the equivalent;
- One unit of Analytic Geometry or Geometry or the equivalent;
- One unit of Advanced Algebra or Algebra II or the equivalent; and,
- One additional approved fourth mathematics unit.
- Georgia Southern does not accept Mathematics Support or Mathematics of Finance.
- English: Four units of English which have as their emphasis grammar and usage, literature (American, English, World), and advanced composition skills.
- Science: Four units of science with at least one laboratory course from the life sciences and one laboratory course from the physical sciences. The four units shall include the following for Georgia Public high school graduates:
- One unit of Biology I or the equivalent;
- One unit of Physical Science or Physics or the equivalent;
- One unit of Chemistry, Earth Systems, Environmental Science, or an Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate science course or the equivalent; and,
- One additional approved science unit.
- Social Science: Three units of social science, with at least one unit focusing on United States studies and one unit focusing on world studies.
- Foreign Language: Two units of the same foreign language emphasizing speaking, listening and writing, or 2 units of American Sign Language, or 2 units of computer science emphasizing coding and programming.
The Board of Regents provides a listing of specific qualifying college preparatory and academic courses in the Student Affairs Handbook, Section 184.108.40.206. It is available online in the USG Academic Affairs Handbook. The Office of Student Affairs for the University System of Georgia maintains a complete list of courses that can be used to satisfy the RHSC requirements in the Staying on Course document that can also be found online in the USG Academic Affairs Handbook.
Students who have completed the Required High School Curriculum and who meet all other admission requirements will be considered for admission to Georgia Southern University as regularly admitted students.