Civil Engineering B.S.C.E.
Degree Requirements: 130 Credit Hours
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
|General Requirements (Core A - E)||42|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major|
|CHEM 1310||Comprehensive General Chemistry||4|
|CENG 1133||Engineering Graphics for Civil and Construction Engineers||3|
|MATH 2160||Elementary Linear Algebra||3|
|MATH 2242||Calculus II||4|
|MATH 2243||Calculus III||4|
|Carryover from Area A2||1|
|Carryover from Area D||1|
|CENG 1731||Civil Engineering Computations||3|
|ENGR 2231||Engineering Mechanics I||3|
|ENGR 2232||Dynamics of Rigid Bodies||3|
|ENGR 3233||Mechanics of Materials||3|
|MATH 3230||Ordinary Differential Equations||3|
|STAT 2231||Introduction to Statistics I||3|
|CENG 2131||Civil Engineering Fluid Mechanics||3|
|or TCM 2233||Construction Surveying|
|CENG 3131||Introduction to Environmental Engineering||3|
|CENG 3132||Introduction to Water and Wastewater Treatment||3|
|CENG 3135||Construction Cost Control and Finance||3|
|or TCM 3331||Construction Finance|
|CENG 3232||Soil Mechanics||3|
|CENG 3233||Civil Engineering Materials||3|
|CENG 3331||Structural Analysis||3|
|CENG 3333||Reinforced Concrete Design||3|
|CENG 4135||Highway Design||3|
|CENG 4331||Structural Steel Design||3|
|CENG 4518||Introduction to Senior Project||1|
|CENG 4539||Senior Project||3|
|Select 6 credit hours from the following recommended technical elective courses: 3||6|
|Experiential Learning in Civil and Construction Engineering - COOP|
|Special Problems in Civil Engineering|
|Selected Topics in Civil Engineering|
|Water Supply and Wastewater Collection Systems|
|Engineering Hydrology and Hydraulics|
|Water and Sanitation for International Development|
|Advanced Water and Wastewater Treatment|
|Pavement Analysis and Design|
|Asphalt Mix Design|
|Advanced Structural Analysis|
|Prestressed Concrete Design|
|Advanced Reinforced Concrete Design|
|Advanced Structural Steel Design|
|Introduction to Finite Elements|
|Theory of Elasticity|
|Theory of Elastic Stability|
|Introduction to GIS in Surveying-Geomatics and Transportation|
|Drainage & Erosion Control|
|Surveying History & Law|
|Introduction to Terrestrial LiDAR|
|Introduction to Close-Range Photogrammetry|
|Green Building and Sustainable Construction|
|Building Information Modeling|
|Construction Cost Estimating|
OR other appropriate topics approved by the Department Chair.
|Select 3 credit hours of Free Electives||3|
|Total Credit Hours||130|
While Calculus I (MATH 1441) is 4 credit hours, only 3 credit hours will count toward fulfilling Area A2. The remaining credit hour will be applied toward Specific Requirements.
The listed courses are recommended in the Core Areas noted and may be prerequisites for major courses.
The 6 hours listed for technical electives must be upper division courses in order to meet the 39 upper division hours requirement.
Other Program Requirements
- A minimum grade of "C" is required for all CENG courses.
- A minimum grade of "C" is required for all prerequisite courses.
- A minimum grade of "C" is required for all Technical Elective courses.
- At least 33 credit hours of approved upper division Engineering credit hours must be earned at Georgia Southern.
- At least 100 hours of Departmental pre-approved community service must be completed prior to graduation clearance.
- Students must take the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam prior to Graduation.
Honors in Civil Engineering
To graduate with Honors in Civil Engineering a student must:
- Be admitted in the University Honors Program
- Complete a Honors thesis (in a minimum of two regular semesters) for a total of 3-credit hours in Honors Research (HONS 4999)
- Maintain a 3.3 institution grade point average, including a 3.5 minimum GPA in all major courses applied towards graduation
CEC Office of Student Services, Room 1208, Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering and Computing, Telephone: (912) 478-4877.