Recreation B.S. (Emphasis in Recreational Therapy)
Degree Requirements: 124 Credit Hours
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
|General Requirements (Core Areas A - E)||42|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major||18|
|Introduction to Recreation|
|Leadership and Programming in Leisure Services|
Select 12 credit hours from list of adviser approved Area F electives (see Other Program Requirements)
|Planning Recreation Areas and Facilities|
|Financial and Legal Dimensions of Recreation|
|Managing Recreation Organizations|
|Marketing Recreation Services|
|Professional Development in Recreation|
|Recreational Therapy Emphasis||16|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology I|
|Program Planning in Recreational Therapy|
|Assessment in Recreational Therapy|
|Intervention Techniques in Recreational Therapy|
|Professional Advancement in Recreational Therapy|
|Guided Major Electives||11|
|Suggested Minors or areas of interest include: Anthropology, Biology, Business, Child and Family Development, Coaching, Health Education and Promotion, Criminal Justice, Geography, Geographic Information Science, History, Hospitality Management, Journalism, Marketing, Management, Public Relations, Psychology, Sociology, Sport Management|
|Foreign Language Requirement or “Significant International Content” course|
|Select one Foreign Language Requirement or “Significant International Content” course||3|
|Select 3 credit hours of Electives||3|
|Total Credit Hours||124|
Program Admission Criteria
- 2.0 GPA for Outdoor Recreation, Recreational Therapy, and Tourism and Community Leisure Services
- 2.0 GPA to enroll in Internship
- Students must have completed all of Area A1 and Area A2 requirements and Introduction to Recreation (RECR 1530) prior to admission to the program.
Honors in Recreation
- Be admitted to the University Honors Program
- Successfully complete at least three credits of HONS 4610 over three semesters
- Successfully complete and present an Honors Thesis or Capstone Project
- Be in good standing in the University Honors Program at the time of graduation
Other Program Requirements
- A minimum grade of “C” is required for each RECR or non-RECR course taken in Area F, Major Requirements, Areas of Emphasis, and Guided Major Electives.
- Recreational Therapy students MUST take RECR 2131 and CHFD 2137 in Area F.
Contact the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences Student Services Center for information regarding admission and advisement.