Special Education B.S.Ed. (Certification Track)
Degree Requirements: 124 Credit Hours
Additional admission requirements must be met to enter the Special Education B.S.Ed. Certification Track (See B.S.Ed. Teacher Education Admission Requirements). Students seeking teacher certification are first admitted to the Professional Studies Special Education B.S.Ed. Non-Certification Track. Upon meeting B.S.Ed. teacher education admission requirements at the completion of Area F, students will be admitted to the certification track. Successful completion of all program requirements and all Georgia Professional Standards Commission certification requirements will prepare an individual to gain teacher certification in Georgia.
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
|General Requirements (Core A-E)||42|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major||18|
|Investigating Critical and Contemporary Issues in Education|
|Exploring Socio-Cultural Perspectives on Diversity in Educational Contexts|
|Exploring Learning and Teaching|
Other Courses for the Major
|Foundations of Numbers and Operations|
|Cognition and Language|
Select one MATH or READ (1000-2000 level course)
|Pedagogy for Professional Educators||21|
|Introduction to Research Methods in Education|
|Special Education Math Methods|
|SPED P-5 Practicum|
|SPED 6-12 Practicum|
|Student Teaching in Special Education|
|Foundations of Technology-Enabled Learning|
|The Teaching of Reading|
|Characteristics of Learners with Disabilities|
|Assessment in Special Education|
|Special Education Procedures|
|Instructional and Behavior Management Methods, P-5|
|Instructional and Behavior Management Methods, 6-12|
|Special Education Student Teaching Seminar|
|Cultural Diversity and ESOL TCLD|
|Select from one of the following areas (Middle grades content level to be “Highly Qualified”)|
|Teaching Literature to Middle and Secondary School Students|
or ENGL 5534
|Literature for Adolescents|
or WRIT 4131
|Linguistics and Grammar For Teachers|
|Foundations of Data Analysis and Geometry|
|Statistics and Probability for K-8 Teachers|
|Algebraic Connections for K-8 Teachers|
|New Literacies and Technology|
|Literacy Assessment and Instruction|
|Total Credit Hours||124|
Program Admission Criteria
See B.S.Ed. Teacher Education Admission Requirements
- Must be admitted to the Teacher Education Program and qualify for a Georgia Preservice Certificate
Other Program Requirements
- Must meet all requirements for retention in the Teacher Education Program.
- Must earn a minimum grade of “C” in all courses in Area F of the Core, the teaching field, and professional education; earn an adjusted GPA of 2.75 or higher in the teaching field; and maintain of overall cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher.
- Must earn a minimum grade of "B'" or higher in Characteristics of Learners with Disabilities (SPED 3130).
- Must successfully complete all field experiences.
- Must successfully complete portfolio evaluation process.
- Must meet requirements for admission to Student Teaching/Internship II (See catalog section, Admission to Student Teaching).
- Must take courses in proper sequence.
- Must successfully complete assessments identified at each program transition point.
Honors in Special Education
To graduate with Honors in Special Education, a student must:
- be admitted to the Honors College;
- successfully complete at least four credit hours of Honors Research Seminar Education (COED 3610) over four semesters;
- successfully complete and present an Honors Thesis or Capstone Project;
- be in good standing in the Honors College at the time of graduation.
Undergraduate Academic Advisement at Georgia Southern is provided to all degree-seeking undergraduate students by professional advisors. Academic Advisors are located on all three Georgia Southern University campuses. Students are required to meet with their assigned Academic Advisor at least once a semester. For more information visit the Academic Advisement catalog page.