Secondary Education B.S.Ed. (Emphasis in Biology Education - Certification Track)
Degree Requirements: 125 Credit Hours
Additional admission requirements must be met to enter the Secondary Education B.S.Ed. Concentration in Biology Education, Certification Track (See B.S.Ed. Teacher Education Admission Requirements). Students seeking teacher certification are first admitted to the Professional Studies Secondary Education B.S.Ed. Concentration in Biology Education, Non-Certification Track. Upon meeting B.S.Ed. teacher education admission requirements at the completion of Area F, students will be admitted to the certification track. Successful completion of all program requirements and all Georgia Professional Standards Commission certification requirements will prepare an individual to gain teacher certification in Georgia.
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
|General Requirements (Core Areas A - E)||42|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major|
|EDUC 2090||PPB Practicum||0|
|EDUC 2110||Investigating Critical and Contemporary Issues in Education||3|
|EDUC 2120||Exploring Socio-Cultural Perspectives on Diversity in Educational Contexts||3|
|Other Courses to Teaching Field|
|BIOL 1107||Principles of Biology I||3|
|BIOL 1107L||Principles of Biology I Laboratory||1|
|BIOL 1108||Principles of Biology II||3|
|BIOL 1108L||Principles of Biology Laboratory II||1|
|BIOL 1210||Environmental Biology Laboratory||1|
|STAT 2231||Introduction to Statistics I||3|
|EDUC 2130||Exploring Learning and Teaching||3|
|SCED 3121||Planning and Instruction for Secondary Educators||2|
|SCED 3237||Methods of Teaching Science in Secondary Schools||3|
|SCED 3721||Secondary School Practicum I||2|
|SCED 4137||Instructional Assessment for Diverse Learners||3|
|SCED 4231||Content Specific Pedagogy for Secondary Education||3|
|SCED 4632||Student Teaching Seminar in Secondary Education||3|
|SCED 4732||Secondary School Practicum II||3|
|SCED 4739||Student Teaching Residency I||3|
|SCED 5799||Student Teaching in Secondary Education||9|
|SPED 3332||Introduction to SPED in Middle and Secondary Grades||3|
|BIOL 3133||Evolution and Ecology||3|
|BIOL 3134||Cell and Molecular Biology||3|
|BIOL 3440||Field Biology||4|
|BIOL 4620||Undergraduate Seminar||2|
|Total Credit Hours||125|
Program Admission Criteria
See B.S.Ed. Teacher Education Admission Requirements
- Must be admitted into the Teacher Education Program and qualify for a Georgia Preservice Certificate
Other Program Requirements
- Must meet all requirements for retention in the Teacher Education Program.
- Must earn a minimum grade of "C" on all courses in Area F of the Core, the teaching field, and professional education; earn an adjusted GPA of 2.75 or higher in the teaching field; and maintain overall cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher
- Must successfully complete all field experiences.
- Must take courses in the proper sequence.
- Courses in Area F must be taken prior to admission into the Teacher Education Program.
- Take only one practicum course per semester.
- Must meet requirements for admission to Student Teaching, (see catalog section, Admission to Student Teaching).
- Must successfully complete assessments identified at each program transition point.
Honors in Secondary Education
To graduate with Honors in Secondary Education, a student must:
- be admitted to the University Honors Program;
- successfully complete at least four credit hours of Honors Research Seminar Education (COED 3610) over four semesters;
- successfully complete and present an Honors Thesis or Capstone Project;
- be in good standing in the University Honors Program at the time of graduation.
Each student in Secondary Education is assigned to an advisor in the College of Education Student Success Center for program planning and course scheduling. Telephone: (912) 478-0698. E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.