Secondary Education B.S.Ed. (Emphasis in English Education - Certification Track)
Degree Requirements: 125 Credit Hours
Additional admission requirements must be met to enter the Secondary Education B.S.Ed. Concentration in English Education, Certification Track (See B.S.Ed. Teacher Education Admission Requirements). Students seeking teacher certification are first admitted to the Professional Studies Secondary Education B.S.Ed. Concentration in English Education, Non-Certification Track. Upon meeting B.S.Ed. teacher education admission requirements at the completion of Area F, students will be admitted to the certification track. Successful completion of all program requirements and all Georgia Professional Standards Commission certification requirements will prepare an individual to gain teacher certification in Georgia.
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E
|General Requirements (Core Areas A - E)||42|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major||18|
|Investigating Critical and Contemporary Issues in Education|
Other Courses to Teaching Field
|Exploring Socio-Cultural Perspectives on Diversity in Educational Contexts|
|Literature And Humanities (if taken in Core Area C, substitute 3 credit hours of ENGL at the 2000 level)|
|World Literature I|
|World Literature II|
|Forms in Writing|
|Exploring Learning and Teaching|
|Planning and Instruction for Secondary Educators|
|Methods of Teaching Language Arts in Secondary Schools|
|Secondary School Practicum I|
|Instructional Assessment for Diverse Learners|
|Content Specific Pedagogy for Secondary Education|
|Student Teaching Seminar in Secondary Education|
|Secondary School Practicum II|
|Student Teaching Residency I|
|Student Teaching in Secondary Education|
|Introduction to SPED in Middle and Secondary Grades|
|Select 6 credit hours from the following:|
|Teaching Literature to Middle and Secondary School Students|
|Literature for Adolescents|
|Linguistics and Grammar for Teachers|
|Select 9 credit hours of Literature courses 3000 level or above (advisor approval required)|
|Select 6 credit hours in Writing courses 3000 level or above (advisor approval required)|
|Select 3 credit hours in English or Linguistics courses 30000 level or above (advisor approval required)|
|Total Credit Hours||125|
Program Admission Criteria
See B.S.Ed. Teacher Education Admission Requirements
- Must be admitted into the Teacher Education Program and qualify for a Georgia Preservice Certificate.
Other Program Requirements
- Must meet all requirements for retention in the Teacher Education Program.;
- Must earn a minimum grade of "C" on all courses in Area F of the Core, the teaching field, and professional education; earn an adjusted GPA of 2.75 or higher in the teaching field; and maintain overall cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher.
- Must earn a minimum grade of "B'" or better in Introduction to SPED in Middle and Secondary Grades (SPED 3332).
- Must successfully complete all field experiences.
- Must take courses in the proper sequence.
- Courses in Area F must be taken prior to admission into the Teacher Education Program.
- Take only one practicum course per semester.
- Must meet requirements for admission to Student Teaching, (see catalog section, Admission to Student Teaching).
- Must successfully complete assessments identified at each program transition point.
- Must take the following courses on home campus: SCED 3121, SCED 3237, SCED 3721, SCED 4137, SCED 4231, SCED 4632, SCED 4732, SCED 4739, and SCED 5799.
Honors in Secondary Education
To graduate with Honors in Secondary Education, a student must:
- be admitted to the University HonorsProgram;
- successfully complete at least four credit hours of COED 3610 over four semesters;
- successfully complete and present an Honors Thesis or Capstone Project;
- be in good standing in the University Honors Program at the time of graduation.
Each student in Secondary Education is assigned to an advisor in the College of Education Student Success Center for program planning and course scheduling. Telephone: (912) 478-0698. E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.