Secondary Education B.S.Ed. (Emphasis Physics - Certification Track)
Degree Requirements: 125 Credit Hours
Additional admission requirements must be met to enter the Secondary Education B.S.Ed. Concentration in Physics Education, Certification Track (See B.S.Ed. Teacher Education Admission Requirements). Students seeking teacher certification are first admitted to the Professional Studies Secondary Education B.S.Ed. Concentration in Physics Education, Non-Certification Track. Upon meeting B.S.Ed. teacher education admission requirements at the completion of Area F, students will be admitted to the certification track. Successful completion of all program requirements and all Georgia Professional Standards Commission certification requirements will prepare an individual to gain teacher certification in Georgia.
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
|General Requirements (Core Areas A - E)||42|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major|
|EDUC 2090||PPB Practicum||0|
|EDUC 2110||Investigating Critical and Contemporary Issues in Education||3|
|EDUC 2120||Exploring Socio-Cultural Perspectives on Diversity in Educational Contexts||3|
|Other Courses to Teaching Field||12|
|Principles of Chemistry I|
|Principles of Chemistry II|
|Astronomy of the Solar System|
|Stellar and Galactic Astronomy|
|Exploring Learning and Teaching|
|Planning and Instruction for Secondary Educators|
|Methods of Teaching Science in Secondary Schools|
|Secondary School Practicum I|
|Instructional Assessment for Diverse Learners|
|Content Specific Pedagogy for Secondary Education|
|Student Teaching Seminar in Secondary Education|
|Secondary School Practicum II|
|Student Teaching Residency I|
|Student Teaching in Secondary Education|
|Introduction to SPED in Middle and Secondary Grades|
|ASTR 3790||Teaching Internship in Astronomy||2|
|or PHYS 3790||Teaching Internship in Physics|
|MATH 1441||Calculus I (Carry-over from A2)||1|
|PHYS 3536||Modern Physics I||3|
|PHYS 3537||Modern Physics II||3|
|PHYS 4421||Advanced Physics Lab I||2|
|Select 6 credit hours from the following electives:||6|
|The Search for Life in the Universe|
|Observational Techniques in Astronomy|
|Chemical Kinetics and Thermodynamics|
|Introduction to Quantum Chemistry|
|Sound Waves and Acoustics|
|Introduction to General Relativity|
|Total Credit Hours||125|
Program Admission Criteria
See B.S.Ed. Teacher Education Admission Requirements.
- Must be admitted into the Teacher Education Program and qualify for a Georgia Preservice Certificate.
Other Program Requirements
- Must meet all requirements for retention in the Teacher Education Program.
- Must earn a minimum grade of "C" on all courses in Area F of the Core, the teaching field, and professional education; earn an adjusted GPA of 2.75 or higher in the teaching field; and maintain overall cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher.
- Must earn a minimum grade of "B'" or better in SPED 3332 Introduction to SPED in Middle and Secondary Grades.
- Must successfully complete all field experiences.
- Must take courses in the proper sequence.
- Courses in Area F must be taken prior to admission into the Teacher Education Program.
- Take only one practicum course per semester.
- Must meet requirements for admission to Student Teaching, (see catalog section, Admission to Student Teaching).
- Must successfully complete assessments identified at each program transition point.
- Must take the following courses on home campus: SCED 3121, SCED 3237, SCED 3721, SCED 4137, SCED 4231, SCED 4632, SCED 4732, SCED 4739, and SCED 5799.
Honors in Secondary Education
To graduate with Honors in Secondary Education, a student must:
- be admitted to the University Honors program;
- successfully complete at least four credit hours of Honors Research Seminar Education (COED 3610) over four semesters;
- successfully complete and present as Honors Thesis or Capstone Project;
- be in good standing in the University Honors Program at the time of graduation.