Health Education and Promotion B.S.P.H. (Emphasis in Global Health)
Degree Requirements: 124 Credit Hours
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
|General Requirements (Core A - E)||42|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major||18|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology I Laboratory|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology II Laboratory|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology I|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology II|
|Nutrition and Health|
Additional Science with Lab 1
The additional hour will be used in electives
|PUBH 2131||Introduction to Community and Public Health||3|
|PUBH 3131||Chronic Diseases: A Modern Epidemic||3|
|PUBH 3132||Health Care Systems and Advocacy||3|
|PUBH 3136||Principles of Environmental Health||3|
|PUBH 3138||Multicultural and Social Determinants of Health||3|
|PUBH 3231||Epidemiology and Biostatistics||3|
|PUBH 3330||Modifying Health Behaviors||3|
|PUBH 4798||Internship in Public Health 2||12|
|Global Health Emphasis|
|PUBH 3431||Introduction to Global Health||3|
|PUBH 3432||Introduction to Global Health Policy||3|
|PUBH 4232||Global Environmental Health||3|
|PUBH 4233||Topics in Global Epidemiology||3|
|PUBH 4234||International Development in Health (Poverty, Social Justice and Global Health)||3|
|Select 9 credit hours from the following Directed Major Electives:||9|
|Substance Use and Abuse|
|Foundations of Health Education and Promotion Practice|
|Stress Theory and Management in Health Promotion|
|Selected Topics in Public Health|
|Health Education and Promotion Program Planning I|
|Health Education and Promotion Program Planning II|
|Research Methods and Evaluation in Health Education and Promotion|
|International Studies Abroad in Public Health|
|Global Maternal and Child Health|
|Health Aspects of Aging|
|Promotional Strategies for Health Programs|
|Directed Individual Study|
|Select 3 credit hours of Electives||3|
|Carryover from Area F|
|Total Credit Hours||124|
Must be Biology or Chemistry Laboratory Science, excluding Environmental Laboratory Science Courses.
Students not meeting the prerequisite requirements for the internship must complete a minor.
Program Admission Criteria
- Admission to Georgia Southern University
- A total institution GPA of 2.0 or better on all course work attempted (transfer course work and work completed at Georgia Southern University are considered)
- Completed a minimum of 60 credit hours
- A minimum grade of “C” in all Area F course work attempted
- Student must have completed or be registered in PUBH 2131
Program Progression Requirements
- Students must also earn a minimum grade of “C” in a prerequisite course(s) prior to registering for an advanced course.
- Students must earn a minimum grade of “C” in all major courses, Directed Major Electives, and Area F courses; and have a GPA of 2.5 AND above to enroll in PUBH 4798.
Undergraduate students are advised by the Undergraduate Advisor in the College of Public Health. The advisor is located in Room 1016 in Hendricks Hall, (912) 478-2674.
To make an advising appointment, send an email to:firstname.lastname@example.org.