Public Health B.S.P.H. (Emphasis in Environmental Health)
Degree Requirements: 124 Credit Hours
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
|General Requirements (Core A - E)||42|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major||18|
|Select 18 credit hours from the following:|
|Principles of Biology I|
|Principles of Biology I Laboratory|
|Principles of Biology II|
|Principles of Biology Laboratory II|
|Introduction to International Studies|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology I Laboratory|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology II Laboratory|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology I|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology II|
|Nutrition and Health|
|Introduction to Philosophy|
|Introduction to Ethics|
|Introduction to Public Administration|
|Introduction to Political Science|
|Introduction to Gerontology|
|Introduction to Community and Public Health|
|Chronic Diseases: A Modern Epidemic|
|Health Care Systems and Advocacy|
|Principles of Environmental Health|
|Epidemiology and Biostatistics|
|Modifying Health Behaviors|
|Introduction to Global Health|
|Internship in Public Health 1|
|Environmental Health Emphasis||15|
|Global Environmental Health|
|Occupational Health in Public Health Practice|
|Environmental Health Practice|
|Public Health Aspects of Vector-borne Diseases: Control and Prevention|
|Food Safety and Health|
|Directed Major Electives||9|
|Select 9 credit hours from the following:|
|Substance Use and Abuse|
|Foundations of Health Education and Promotion Practice|
|Stress Theory and Management in Health Promotion|
|Introduction to Global Health Policy|
|Health Education and Promotion Program Planning I|
|Health Education and Promotion Program Planning II|
|Research Methods and Evaluation in Health Education and Promotion|
|International Studies Abroad in Public Health|
|Global Maternal and Child Health|
|Health Aspects of Aging|
|Topics in Global Epidemiology|
|International Development in Health (Poverty, Social Justice and Global Health)|
|Promotional Strategies for Health Programs|
|Directed Individual Study|
Select 3 credit hours of Electives
|Total Credit Hours||124|
Students not meeting the prerequisite requirements for the internship must complete a minor.
Program Admission Criteria
- Admission to Georgia Southern University.
- A total institution GPA of 2.0 or better on all course work attempted (transfer course work and work completed at Georgia Southern University are considered). All transfer credits must be evaluated by the Undergraduate Office of Admissions and posted on the Georgia Southern transcript upon official acceptance to the University.
- Completed a minimum of 60 credit hours.
- A minimum grade of “C” in all Area F course work attempted.
- Student must have completed or be registered in PUBH 2131.
Program Progression Requirements
- Students must also earn a minimum grade of “C” in a prerequisite course(s) prior to registering for an advanced course.
- Students must earn a minimum grade of “C” in all major courses, Directed Major Electives, and Area F courses; and have a GPA of 2.5 AND above to enroll in PUBH 4798.
Undergraduate Academic Advisement at Georgia Southern is provided to all degree-seeking undergraduate students by professional advisors. Academic Advisors are located on all three Georgia Southern University campuses. Students are required to meet with their assigned Academic Advisor at least once a semester. For more information visit the Academic Advisement catalog page.