Degree Requirements: 124 Credit Hours
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
|General Requirements (Core A - E)||42|
|Area A2 -- Must take MATH 1112, MATH 1113 or MATH 1441|
|Area DII -- Must take MATH 1441 if not taken in Area A2 above|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major|
|BIOL 1107||Principles of Biology I||3|
|BIOL 1108||Principles of Biology II||3|
|CHEM 1211K/1211/1211L||Principles of Chemistry I (if not taken in Area D1)||4|
|CHEM 1212K/1212/1212L||Principles of Chemistry II (if not taken in Area D1)||4|
|Students should complete a 1 year sequence in either Geology or Physics (second course will be counted under Major Specific Requirements), or an alternate course approved by advisor|
|Introduction to the Earth|
|Introductory Physics I|
|Principles of Physics I|
|Additional Biology, Computer Science, Foreign, Math, Science Course (if needed)|
|Major Specific Requirements|
|Carry-over from MATH 1441 Calculus I in Area A or Area D2||1|
|BIOL 1107L||Principles of Biology I Laboratory||1|
|BIOL 1108L||Principles of Biology Laboratory II||1|
|CHEM 3401||Organic Chemistry I||4|
|CHEM 3402||Organic Chemistry II||4|
|Completion of Geology, Physics, or Advisor alternate course (may count if Area F, if needed)|
|General Historical Geology|
|Introductory Physics II|
|Principles of Physics II|
|BIOL - Prerequisite Courses (required prior to any BIOL courses at the 4000 and 5000-level)||9|
|Evolution and Ecology|
|Cell and Molecular Biology|
|BIOL - Elective Courses (Level 3000 and above)||23|
BCHM 3200 or BCHM 5201 (may substitute for a BIOL Elective with Advisor approval.)
Three of the above courses must have a laboratory requirement (BIOL 4 credit hour courses or other dedicated laboratory course)
Department recommends that one of the above courses qualify as a "capstone" experience; see Dept. website for list of qualifying courses. A maximum of 7 credit hours of capstone courses can be applied to the B.S. with a Major in Biology degree.
|Total Credit Hours||124|
Other Program Requirements
- Students who wish to change their major to Biology must have a total institution GPA of 2.0 or better in all coursework completed at Georgia Southern
- Transfer students from other institutions who wish to major in Biology must have a GPA of 2.0 or better on all credit hours attempted at other institutions as well as those hours attempted at Georgia Southern.
- Students must earn a “C” or better for the pre-requisite biology courses BIOL 1107, BIOL 1107L, BIOL 1108, BIOL 1108L, BIOL 3131, BIOL 3133, BIOL 3134
- Students must have a combined average of “C” or better for all biology courses
- Students must successfully complete the Major Field Test as a departmental exit exam.
Honors in Biology
For students entering the University Honors Program as a freshman and seeking to complete the Departmental Honors in Biology, it is highly recommended that these freshmen complete:
|Freshman/Sophmore Level Courses|
|Principles of Biology I|
and Principles of Biology I Laboratory
|Principles of Biology II|
and Principles of Biology Laboratory II
|CHEM 1211||Principles of Chemistry I||3|
|CHEM 1212||Principles of Chemistry II||3|
|FYE 1220||First-Year Seminar||2|
|MATH 1441||Calculus I||4|
|Required Biology Honors Courses|
|Sophomore/Junior Level Courses||5|
|Honors Research Methods Biology|
|Junior/Senior Level Courses||6|
|Recommended Biology Honors Courses|
|Current Trends in Biol. Res.|
- Freshman Year: Overall GPA of 3.3 or higher, if completed BIOL 1107 and BIOL 1108 must have a grade of "A" in both courses, or an "A" and a "B."
- Sophomore Year: Overall GPA of 3.3 or higher, including completion of BIOL 1107, BIOL 1108, and one intermediate prerequisite (BIOL 3131, BIOL 3133, or BIOL 3134) with a GPA of at least 3.3 in these classes.
Typically, students with 3 semesters or less to complete their degree are not eligible to enter the Departmental Honors in Biology Program.
After entering the Departmental Honors in Biology Program, students are required to complete the required biology honors courses and the capstone experience to earn Departmental Honors in Biology. Students also would be required to maintain a 3.3 overall GPA, including a GPA of 3.3 in courses supportive of the major.