Degree Requirements: 124 Credit Hours
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
|General Requirements (Core A - E)||42|
|Area A2 -- Must take MATH 1112, MATH 1113 or MATH 1441|
|Area DII -- Must take MATH 1441 if not taken in Area A2 above|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major|
|CHEM 1211K||Principles of Chemistry I||4|
|or CHEM 1211|
| Principles of Chemistry I|
and Principles of Chemistry I Laboratory
|CHEM 1212K||Principles of Chemistry II||4|
|or CHEM 1212|
| Principles of Chemistry II|
and Principles of Chemistry II Laboratory
|MATH 2242||Calculus II||4|
|PHYS 2211K||Principles of Physics I||4|
|PHYS 2212K||Principles of Physics II||4|
|Additional hours of chemistry, biology, or computer science (if needed).|
|Major Specific Requirements|
|Carry over from MATH 1441 Calculus I in Area A or Area D|
|Carry over from CHEM 2211K/2212K Principles of Chemistry I/II in Area F|
|CHEM 2100||Analytical Chemistry||4|
|CHEM 2900||Principals of Chemistry Research||3|
|CHEM 3300||Inorganic Chemistry||4|
|CHEM 3401||Organic Chemistry I||4|
|CHEM 3402||Organic ChemistryII||4|
|CHEM 3501||Chemical Kinetics and Thermodynamics||4|
|BCHM 5201||Biochemistry I||4|
|Students must complete 8 additional hours of upper-level chemistry or biochemistry coursework (3000-level and above, not to include BCHM 3200 Principles of Biochemistry) 2||8|
|Foreign Language Requirements (1002 Level)|
|Completion through 1002-level Foreign Language*||0-3|
|Select 15 credit hours of Minor||15|
|Select 5-16 credit hours of Electives||5-16|
|Must include at least 2 hours of upper-division (3000-level and above) coursework|
|Total Credit Hours||124|
May be satisfied by a secondary school background showing two (2) years or more of preparation in a single language.
While Principles of Chemistry I (CHEM 1211K)Principles of Chemistry II (CHEM 1212K) are 4 credit hours, only 3 credit hours will be counted toward Area F. The remaining credit hour of each will be applied toward Major Specific Requirements.
a maximum of 4 cr hrs of Chemical Research Experience (CHEM 4900) and/or CHEM 4790, and only 1 cr hr of Teaching Internship in Chemistry (CHEM 3700) may be counted toward the upper-level chemistry coursework.
Program Admission Criteria
- Students who wish to change their major to Chemistry must have a total institution GPA of 2.0 or better in all coursework completed at Georgia Southern.
- Transfer students from other institutions who wish to major in Chemistry must have a GPA of 2.0 or better on all credit hours attempted at other institutions as well as those hours attempted at Georgia Southern.
Other Program Requirements
- Chemistry majors must maintain a “C” average in all major coursework which applies toward graduation.
Honors in Chemistry
To graduate with Honors in Chemistry, a student must:
- be admitted to the University Honors Program
- complete a capstone project equivalent to three credit hours with a measurable outcome approved by the Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
- maintain a 3.3 overall GPA, including a minimum GPA of 3.5 in all major courses applied toward graduation
This degree is certified by the American Chemical Society (ACS).