Degree Requirements: 124 Credit Hours
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
|General Requirements (Core A – E)||42|
|Area A2 -- Must take MATH 1112, MATH 1113 or MATH 1441|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major||18|
Select two of the following electives:
|Concepts of Biology|
and Concepts of Biology Laboratory
or BIOL 1110L
|Concepts of Biology Trad. Lab|
|Principles of Chemistry I|
| Principles of Chemistry I|
and Principles of Chemistry I Laboratory
|Introduction to the Earth|
|Introductory Physics I|
|Introduction to Human Geography|
|Introduction to GIS and Cartography|
|Introduction to Research|
Select 24 hours of Upper Division Geography courses (GEOG 3000-level and above) 1
May include no more than 2 hours of GEOG 3790 - Teaching Internship in Geography and 6 hours of GEOG 5890 - Directed Study
Select 13-19 credit hours of Electives (must include at least 1 hour of upper-division (3000-level and above) coursework)
Foreign Language (2001 Level)
Completion through 2001-level Foreign Language 2
|Total Credit Hours||124|
Students pursuing Senior Thesis Research must earn a minimum grade of B in Introduction to Research (GEOG 4120), have a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 upon completion of Introduction to Research (GEOG 4120), and complete Senior Thesis Research I (GEOG 4830) and Senior Thesis Research II (GEOG 4831).
May be satisfied by a secondary school background showing three (3) years or more of preparation in a single language
- Geography majors must maintain an overall 2.0 GPA across all Geography coursework (any course with GEOG prefix).
Honors in Geography
Students majoring in Geography (BS or BA) may pursue an Honors in Geography program. Students are required to have a minimum GPA of 3.2 after 45 credit hours of coursework and approval of Geology and Geography faculty to commence the Honors program.
To graduate with Honors in Geography, a student must:
- Be admitted to the University Honors Program;
- Complete Senior Thesis Research II (GEOG 4831) with a grade of B or higher;
- Complete Introduction to Research (GEOG 4120) (with a grade of B or higher), Senior Thesis Research I (GEOG 4830) and Senior Thesis Research II (GEOG 4831) for a total of 8 credit hours;
- Successfully complete and present an Honors Thesis or Capstone Project;
- Be in good standing in the University Honors Program at the time of graduation.